• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 1 day ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 2 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 8 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 9 days ago

Strike The Bell Wins Noble Damsel

Strike the Bell rallied from last to first Sunday afternoon at Belmont Park to capture the first graded stakes win of her career in the 23rd running of the Grade 3, $100,000 Noble Damsel.

Breaking from the inside, Strike the Bell saved ground running last of all as C. S. Silk led the way through a quarter mile in 23.54. As the pacesetter opened up seven lengths on the field for a half mile in 46.16, Strike the Bell remained reserved toward the rear before being angled out to roll to a 1 ¼ length victory over favored Quiet Meadow.

The winner’s final time for one mile over the good Widener turf course was 1:34.58.

“I’ve ridden this filly twice before, so I knew her coming into this race today,” said winning jockey Ramon Dominguez. “I felt pretty confident after the first quarter of a mile. She fell into the bridle nicely and I could tell we were going to have a good run. When I started to angle out, and pass horses, I could feel that I wasn’t going to have to go to the whip because she was rolling. I could see on the big screen that they were behind me and trying to pressure me, but I felt like we were home free.”

The daughter of Mizzen Mast, who missed by just a head in the Miss Liberty Stakes at Monmouth three starts back before running sixth behind Dynaslew in the Grade 2 Ballston Spa at Saratoga on August 28, now owns a record of 4-4-3 from 16 starts and has earned $237,278 for Rising Star Stables.

“Even though Ramon was that far back, he was happy with his spot,” said winning trainer David Donk. “He knows she just has a big turn of foot. He trusts her and that’s the biggest thing. If he’s comfortable, then I’m comfortable.”

Sent off as the 4-1 co-second choice, Strike the Bell returned $10.80. Scolara checked in third and was followed by Chestoria, Sweeter Still, C. S. Silk, Kristi With a K and Meriwether Jessica.

“I honestly haven’t thought past this race,” Donk said when asked where the filly might start next. “I knew today was an important one because it’s graded. It’s a nice one to get out of the way. I hope that she’s around another year and could be a pretty serious filly.”