• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 22 hours ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 7 days ago

Street Life Set for Belmont Stakes

Belmont Stakes 2012 logo.
Photo: Kevin Creative (Kevin House)
In his final workout before the Belmont, Street Life gave trainer Chad Brown exactly what he wanted, breezing five furlongs in 1:01.15 in company with stablemate Zivo.

According to NYRA clockers, Street Life galloped out six furlongs in 1:13.55.

“I was looking for five-eighths in 1:01 and that’s exactly what he did. He galloped out good and came back with plenty of energy,” said Brown, who described Zivo as a “pretty promising” horse. “We just wanted to maintain where he’s at. I really wasn’t looking to do anything more than that, so mission accomplished.”

According to Brown, Street Life has always been a “little lazy,” but Brown added that the horse has matured and become sharper as a 3-year-old, particularly after the addition of blinkers. “I could maybe work him by himself now, but just to be safe, I worked him in company.”

As a former assistant to trainer Bobby Frankel, who spoiled Funny Cide’s bid for the Triple Crown when he won the Belmont in 2003 with Empire Maker, Brown thinks that Frankel’s advice would be to stick to the program for the horse and not make too many changes for this one race.

And like his mentor, he doesn’t shrink from the idea of spoiling a Triple Crown. “As a racing fan, I’d like to see a Triple Crown winner, but when I’m in the race, I certainly don’t want to see it this year.”

Older Comments about Street Life Set for Belmont Stakes...

I like this horse !!