• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Street Life Set for Belmont Stakes

Belmont Stakes 2012 logo.
Photo: Kevin Creative (Kevin House)
In his final workout before the Belmont, Street Life gave trainer Chad Brown exactly what he wanted, breezing five furlongs in 1:01.15 in company with stablemate Zivo.

According to NYRA clockers, Street Life galloped out six furlongs in 1:13.55.

“I was looking for five-eighths in 1:01 and that’s exactly what he did. He galloped out good and came back with plenty of energy,” said Brown, who described Zivo as a “pretty promising” horse. “We just wanted to maintain where he’s at. I really wasn’t looking to do anything more than that, so mission accomplished.”

According to Brown, Street Life has always been a “little lazy,” but Brown added that the horse has matured and become sharper as a 3-year-old, particularly after the addition of blinkers. “I could maybe work him by himself now, but just to be safe, I worked him in company.”

As a former assistant to trainer Bobby Frankel, who spoiled Funny Cide’s bid for the Triple Crown when he won the Belmont in 2003 with Empire Maker, Brown thinks that Frankel’s advice would be to stick to the program for the horse and not make too many changes for this one race.

And like his mentor, he doesn’t shrink from the idea of spoiling a Triple Crown. “As a racing fan, I’d like to see a Triple Crown winner, but when I’m in the race, I certainly don’t want to see it this year.”

Older Comments about Street Life Set for Belmont Stakes...

I like this horse !!