• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Strathnaver Wins Thrilling Lady Baltimore

Strathnaver wins 2013 Lady Baltimore Stakes.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Andrew Stone’s Strathnaver (GB) travelled most of the way with the pack, then slipped out entering the stretch and was up in the final strides to win the $100,000 Lady Baltimore Stakes for fillies and mares at Laurel Park.

Second choice on the morning line but allowed to drift up to odds of 12.40-1, Strathnaver was winning for the third time in the United States after beginning her career in England. Her biggest success prior to the Lady Baltimore was a victory in the Bewitch Stakes (G3) at Keeneland last spring.

Today under Erick Rodriguez, she held off a furious late surge by program favorite Abaco and jockey Rosie Napravnik to win by a head , with Hunter Forward, who was leading going to the finish line, tiring to finish third.

Graham Motion trains the daughter of Oasis Dream. “It was a last minute decision (to ride Rodriguez),”  said Motion. “I wasn’t 100% sure I was going to run her. He rode a great race, a patient race. I told him if he had been too patient I was going to be upset but the class came through. The horse has been off since July. I took her to Saratoga but the race came off the turf and she didn’t run. This was plan B.”

Strathnaver completed the 1-1/16th mile distance in 1:40.98 and paid $26.80.

“I found out earlier today that I would be riding for Graham,” said Rodriquez. “He said she had been training great and that he was disappointed in her last two races. The plan was to sit off the pace and wait, wait, wait as long as I could and then go. We were four or five back and I was just waiting to turn my horse loose. I knew I had plenty of horse left. I was just waiting for the right moment.”