• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Stradivinsky Wires Field in Jaipur

Stradivinsky gave his connections a quick return on their investment with a gate-to-wire victory in Saturday’s Grade 3, $200,000 Jaipur at Belmont Park.

The 7-year-old gelding was an easy winner against claimers at Gulfstream Park on March 7 and at Arlington Park on May 1, inspiring trainer Rick Dutrow, Jr. to claim the veteran for $50,000 when he posted another sharp victory at Churchill Downs on May 27.

The 2-1 second choice in the Jaipur, Stradivinsky broke on top and set an opening fraction of 22.49 as the even-money favorite Formidable, who unseated Jose Lezcano at the start, ran loose between the pacesetter and the rail. Stradivinsky opened on Formidable and the rest of the field on the far turn, and was put to a drive inside the final furlong to score by 1 ¼ lengths as Yield Bogey rallied on the outside to finish second.

Neither Lezcano nor Formidable were injured.

“[Stradivinsky] broke really, really well and I didn’t realize that there was a loose horse until I saw him inside of me going to the half-mile pole,” said winning jockey C.C. Lopez. “I said to myself, ‘well, I can’t let him get in front of me because I don’t know where he’s going to go after he gets in front of me.’ So, I pinched him a little bit to get him out of there and from there my horse ran his eyeballs out, he really did.”

The son of Stravinsky improved his record to 13-2-5 from 32 starts and returned $6.90 for a $2 win wager. He covered the six furlongs on the Inner Turf Course in 1:07.74.

“He loves running fresh, and C.C. [Lopez] gave him a great ride,” said Dutrow. “I told C.C. to concentrate on getting him out of the gate. This horse runs well with spacing, and he likes Churchill Downs, so we’ll run him one more time and then point to the Breeders’ Cup Sprint.”

Dubai Rainbow finished 2 ¾ lengths behind the winner in third, with Our Friend Harvey, Perfect Officer, and Escrow Kid completing the order of finish.

Owned by Michael Dubb, Jack Mandato, and Bethlehem Stables LLC, Stradivinsky was bred in Florida by Live Oak Stud.