• Hoppertunity nips Imperative by a San Antonio head-bob.Posted 12 hours ago
  • In her seasonal debut, Songbird is a dominant winner of the Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Lukes Alley kicks it in late to win the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Mor Spirit cruises late to win the Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Aussie-bred Power Alert gets there first in the GP Turf Sprint.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Tommy Macho runs away with the Fred Hooper at Gulfsrtream Park.Posted 17 hours ago
  • No catching Tammy the Torpedo in the turfy Suwannee River.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Lady Shipman (1-5) is an easy winner in the Lady's Turf Sprint at Gulfstream.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Cadet Roni relishes the slop in the Wishing Well at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Flora Dora gets to the wire first in the Big A's Busanda.Posted 6 days ago

Stradivinsky Wires Field in Jaipur

Stradivinsky gave his connections a quick return on their investment with a gate-to-wire victory in Saturday’s Grade 3, $200,000 Jaipur at Belmont Park.

The 7-year-old gelding was an easy winner against claimers at Gulfstream Park on March 7 and at Arlington Park on May 1, inspiring trainer Rick Dutrow, Jr. to claim the veteran for $50,000 when he posted another sharp victory at Churchill Downs on May 27.

The 2-1 second choice in the Jaipur, Stradivinsky broke on top and set an opening fraction of 22.49 as the even-money favorite Formidable, who unseated Jose Lezcano at the start, ran loose between the pacesetter and the rail. Stradivinsky opened on Formidable and the rest of the field on the far turn, and was put to a drive inside the final furlong to score by 1 ¼ lengths as Yield Bogey rallied on the outside to finish second.

Neither Lezcano nor Formidable were injured.

“[Stradivinsky] broke really, really well and I didn’t realize that there was a loose horse until I saw him inside of me going to the half-mile pole,” said winning jockey C.C. Lopez. “I said to myself, ‘well, I can’t let him get in front of me because I don’t know where he’s going to go after he gets in front of me.’ So, I pinched him a little bit to get him out of there and from there my horse ran his eyeballs out, he really did.”

The son of Stravinsky improved his record to 13-2-5 from 32 starts and returned $6.90 for a $2 win wager. He covered the six furlongs on the Inner Turf Course in 1:07.74.

“He loves running fresh, and C.C. [Lopez] gave him a great ride,” said Dutrow. “I told C.C. to concentrate on getting him out of the gate. This horse runs well with spacing, and he likes Churchill Downs, so we’ll run him one more time and then point to the Breeders’ Cup Sprint.”

Dubai Rainbow finished 2 ¾ lengths behind the winner in third, with Our Friend Harvey, Perfect Officer, and Escrow Kid completing the order of finish.

Owned by Michael Dubb, Jack Mandato, and Bethlehem Stables LLC, Stradivinsky was bred in Florida by Live Oak Stud.