• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Stevens Updates Knee Status on HRTV

In an exclusive interview with HRTV's Laffit Pincay, III and Christina Blacker this afternoon, Gary Stevens revealed that the injury to his right knee is more severe than originally thought.  An MRI showed that Stevens' ACL is completely torn, and after originally hoping to get a partial knee replacement, he is now slated for a full knee replacement next Friday, July 25.

STEVENS:  "I went in for an MRI yesterday, and Dr. Yun just called me and said that there was way too much internal damage to the knee to do a partial replacement.  So, we are scheduled to do a full replacement next Friday."

Q:  Updated recovery time frame?

STEVENS:  "I really didn't get into that.  Dr. Yun still gave me the option of a partial (knee replacement).  And I said, 'Doc, I'm 51 years old and I'm going to bust my butt which ever way I go, but with the support that I've gotten in the past, I don't want to come back and have this knee blow out in three months with the partial.  I said, let's do the whole deal.'  It's been a great run, a great career, and if I don't make it back, I can live with that.  But, I'm going to bust my butt to do it...my ACL was completely shot, which I didn't even know.  That was a big shock.  I'll just say it.  There was some tears when he called me.  But, I'm so excited to get it done...I'm looking forward to it, but the last 35 minutes has been very difficult."

Q: Was the MRI the worst case scenario?

STEVENS:  "Yeah, the MRI, absolutely.  I had no idea the damage that was in there...when I was in to see the doctor Wednesday, he said 'how long has your ACL been gone?'  I said, 'it's not."  He said, 'Oh yeah, it's gone'...He said he's never seen anybody do what (I've) been doing with no ACL.  So, I apologize to anyone who happens to have lost some money on me...I've been doing the best I could do for awhile.  It hasn't been right for the last month-and-a-half...That's where we're at.  I'm looking forward to either getting back in the saddle at some point, or continuing on with my broadcasting career."