• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Stevens Updates Knee Status on HRTV

In an exclusive interview with HRTV's Laffit Pincay, III and Christina Blacker this afternoon, Gary Stevens revealed that the injury to his right knee is more severe than originally thought.  An MRI showed that Stevens' ACL is completely torn, and after originally hoping to get a partial knee replacement, he is now slated for a full knee replacement next Friday, July 25.

STEVENS:  "I went in for an MRI yesterday, and Dr. Yun just called me and said that there was way too much internal damage to the knee to do a partial replacement.  So, we are scheduled to do a full replacement next Friday."

Q:  Updated recovery time frame?

STEVENS:  "I really didn't get into that.  Dr. Yun still gave me the option of a partial (knee replacement).  And I said, 'Doc, I'm 51 years old and I'm going to bust my butt which ever way I go, but with the support that I've gotten in the past, I don't want to come back and have this knee blow out in three months with the partial.  I said, let's do the whole deal.'  It's been a great run, a great career, and if I don't make it back, I can live with that.  But, I'm going to bust my butt to do it...my ACL was completely shot, which I didn't even know.  That was a big shock.  I'll just say it.  There was some tears when he called me.  But, I'm so excited to get it done...I'm looking forward to it, but the last 35 minutes has been very difficult."

Q: Was the MRI the worst case scenario?

STEVENS:  "Yeah, the MRI, absolutely.  I had no idea the damage that was in there...when I was in to see the doctor Wednesday, he said 'how long has your ACL been gone?'  I said, 'it's not."  He said, 'Oh yeah, it's gone'...He said he's never seen anybody do what (I've) been doing with no ACL.  So, I apologize to anyone who happens to have lost some money on me...I've been doing the best I could do for awhile.  It hasn't been right for the last month-and-a-half...That's where we're at.  I'm looking forward to either getting back in the saddle at some point, or continuing on with my broadcasting career."