• Cupid (2-5) holds off Curlin Rules in the Harry F. Brubaker.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Ulysses (Galileo) powers by Churchill and Barney Roy in the Group 1 Juddmonte International.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Cracksman (Frankel) cruises to a big victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes at York.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Diversify (1-2) rolls home a big winner in the Evan Shipman.Posted 2 days ago
  • Blackjackcat (8-1) holds off Vyjack to win the Del Mar Mile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 4 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Stevens Updates Knee Status on HRTV

In an exclusive interview with HRTV's Laffit Pincay, III and Christina Blacker this afternoon, Gary Stevens revealed that the injury to his right knee is more severe than originally thought.  An MRI showed that Stevens' ACL is completely torn, and after originally hoping to get a partial knee replacement, he is now slated for a full knee replacement next Friday, July 25.

STEVENS:  "I went in for an MRI yesterday, and Dr. Yun just called me and said that there was way too much internal damage to the knee to do a partial replacement.  So, we are scheduled to do a full replacement next Friday."

Q:  Updated recovery time frame?

STEVENS:  "I really didn't get into that.  Dr. Yun still gave me the option of a partial (knee replacement).  And I said, 'Doc, I'm 51 years old and I'm going to bust my butt which ever way I go, but with the support that I've gotten in the past, I don't want to come back and have this knee blow out in three months with the partial.  I said, let's do the whole deal.'  It's been a great run, a great career, and if I don't make it back, I can live with that.  But, I'm going to bust my butt to do it...my ACL was completely shot, which I didn't even know.  That was a big shock.  I'll just say it.  There was some tears when he called me.  But, I'm so excited to get it done...I'm looking forward to it, but the last 35 minutes has been very difficult."

Q: Was the MRI the worst case scenario?

STEVENS:  "Yeah, the MRI, absolutely.  I had no idea the damage that was in there...when I was in to see the doctor Wednesday, he said 'how long has your ACL been gone?'  I said, 'it's not."  He said, 'Oh yeah, it's gone'...He said he's never seen anybody do what (I've) been doing with no ACL.  So, I apologize to anyone who happens to have lost some money on me...I've been doing the best I could do for awhile.  It hasn't been right for the last month-and-a-half...That's where we're at.  I'm looking forward to either getting back in the saddle at some point, or continuing on with my broadcasting career."