• Capla Temptress (5-1) rolls home in the Natalma, while making her North American debut.Posted 4 days ago
  • Untamed Domain (3-1) kicks it in late to win the Summer Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 4 days ago
  • World Approval (2-1) shows he is much the best in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile.Posted 5 days ago
  • Patrona Margarita (23-1) draws clear in the Grade 2 Pocahontas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Uni (6-5) runs down La Coronel in the Grade 2 Sands Point.Posted 5 days ago
  • Johnny Bear (9-1) noses out Hawkbill in the Grade 1 Northern Dancer Turf.Posted 5 days ago
  • Chublicious (10-1) upsets the Grade 3 Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash.Posted 5 days ago
  • The Tabulator (4-1) holds on in the Grade 3 Iroquois despite drifting out.Posted 5 days ago
  • Quidura (2-5) proves best in Grade 2 Canadian.Posted 5 days ago
  • Winx rolls late in the Colgate Optic White Stakes for her 20th straight victory!Posted 5 days ago

Stevens Chases Tenth SA Derby Win

Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens hopes to add to his record of nine Santa Anita Derby victories when he rides 9-5 morning line second choice Candy Boy in Saturday’s much-anticipated Grade I, $1 million race that awards 100 Kentucky Derby qualifying points to the winner.

Stevens was happy when he learned that Candy Boy drew post position six, and Fashion Plate, his mount in the Grade I Santa Anita Oaks earlier on the card, will break from the rail in the mile-and-one-sixteenth race.

“Craig (agent Craig O’Bryan) sent me a text saying I drew the six of eight in the Derby and the one in the Oaks,” Stevens said. “I sent him back a thumbs up and a smiley face.

“I’m real pleased with my draw. I drew the one hole with Candy Boy in the Lewis, and it was OK. The trip turned out good (winning by a half-length), but this gives me more options.

“Obviously, California Chrome has more speed than I do, but I’ll know where he’s at. I was going to know where he’s at anyway, but I like where I’ve drawn.”

Added Candy Boy’s trainer, John Sadler: “It’s a good draw (post position No. 6). Going a mile and an eighth, I don’t think the draw’s that important for anybody. There’s plenty of run to the first turn and it’s a small field, so we’re very happy with the draw.

“We’re very excited. We should have a good crowd.”

The field for the Derby, race eight of 11: Rprettyboyfloyd, Rafael Bejarano, 20-1, Friendswith K Mill, Tyler Baze, 20-1; Hoppertunity, Mike Smith, 3-1; Big Tire, Edwin Maldonado, 20-1; California Chrome, Victor Espinoza, 6-5; Candy Boy, Gary Stevens, 9-5; Schoolofhardrocks, Joe Talamo, 10-1; and Dublin Up, Kent Desormeaux, 30-1.