• Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 1 day ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 2 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 3 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 3 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 3 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 3 days ago
  • Awtaad upsets Galileo Gold to win the Irish 2000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago

Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins

According to Equibase, Gary Stevens is 18 career wins shy of 5,000. That’s news to Gary Stevens. According to the Hall of Fame jockey, he won No. 5,000 at Belmont Park more than eight years ago, in October, 2005, aboard a 3-year-old filly named Joint Aspiration in the Gaviola Stakes.

“It’s a footnote to me,” Stevens said of the Equibase total of 4,982, “because I’m already over 5,000. I’m not excited about the so-called milestone or anything else; I’m excited about every win that I have.

“It upsets me that foreign wins aren’t counted. I’ve ridden and won Group races in France, England, Dubai, Hong Kong and consider myself an international rider, not just a Southern California rider, although my home is here and I love it.

“But do we not count European races?”

Equibase and Daily Racing Form only consider victories in North America, which accounts for the difference in Stevens’ totals.

Older Comments about Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins...

Win is a Win is a Win! Does a horse coming here in the USA lose conditions, gain NW status if they haven't won in the U.S.? If that were the case every horse racing in Europe would fill every maiden race at every race track! This Industry needs to get back to COMMON SENSE. A horse CANNOT run with a NASAL STRIP but you can inject him with LASIX? Who the heck, put that one on the books? Industry is STUCK ON STUPID! NYRA get a life!
Classic “US exceptionalism”… why they let Canada and Mexico’s hipodromo {or maybe we aren’t North Americans lol} in is anyone’s guess :)