• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins

According to Equibase, Gary Stevens is 18 career wins shy of 5,000. That’s news to Gary Stevens. According to the Hall of Fame jockey, he won No. 5,000 at Belmont Park more than eight years ago, in October, 2005, aboard a 3-year-old filly named Joint Aspiration in the Gaviola Stakes.

“It’s a footnote to me,” Stevens said of the Equibase total of 4,982, “because I’m already over 5,000. I’m not excited about the so-called milestone or anything else; I’m excited about every win that I have.

“It upsets me that foreign wins aren’t counted. I’ve ridden and won Group races in France, England, Dubai, Hong Kong and consider myself an international rider, not just a Southern California rider, although my home is here and I love it.

“But do we not count European races?”

Equibase and Daily Racing Form only consider victories in North America, which accounts for the difference in Stevens’ totals.

Older Comments about Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins...

Win is a Win is a Win! Does a horse coming here in the USA lose conditions, gain NW status if they haven't won in the U.S.? If that were the case every horse racing in Europe would fill every maiden race at every race track! This Industry needs to get back to COMMON SENSE. A horse CANNOT run with a NASAL STRIP but you can inject him with LASIX? Who the heck, put that one on the books? Industry is STUCK ON STUPID! NYRA get a life!
Classic “US exceptionalism”… why they let Canada and Mexico’s hipodromo {or maybe we aren’t North Americans lol} in is anyone’s guess :)