• 2-time Arc winner Treve is an impressive winner in her seasonal debut today at Saint-Cloud.Posted 1 day ago
  • Majestic City fights off Carve to win the Lone Star Handicap.Posted 4 days ago
  • Hard Not To Like skims the rail to score in the Grade 1 Gamely.Posted 4 days ago
  • Street Story proves best in a sloppy edition of the Winning Colors.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lubash blows by his competition late to win the Kingston.Posted 4 days ago
  • Distinctiv Passion just holds off favored San Onofre in the Los Angeles.Posted 4 days ago
  • Quezon rolls up late to score in the Bouwerie.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ostrolenka sharp in victory in Belmont's Mike Lee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar gets the job done as the Charles Whittingham favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Pleascach holds off Found in the Irish 1,000 Guineas.Posted 6 days ago

Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins

According to Equibase, Gary Stevens is 18 career wins shy of 5,000. That’s news to Gary Stevens. According to the Hall of Fame jockey, he won No. 5,000 at Belmont Park more than eight years ago, in October, 2005, aboard a 3-year-old filly named Joint Aspiration in the Gaviola Stakes.

“It’s a footnote to me,” Stevens said of the Equibase total of 4,982, “because I’m already over 5,000. I’m not excited about the so-called milestone or anything else; I’m excited about every win that I have.

“It upsets me that foreign wins aren’t counted. I’ve ridden and won Group races in France, England, Dubai, Hong Kong and consider myself an international rider, not just a Southern California rider, although my home is here and I love it.

“But do we not count European races?”

Equibase and Daily Racing Form only consider victories in North America, which accounts for the difference in Stevens’ totals.

Older Comments about Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins...

Win is a Win is a Win! Does a horse coming here in the USA lose conditions, gain NW status if they haven't won in the U.S.? If that were the case every horse racing in Europe would fill every maiden race at every race track! This Industry needs to get back to COMMON SENSE. A horse CANNOT run with a NASAL STRIP but you can inject him with LASIX? Who the heck, put that one on the books? Industry is STUCK ON STUPID! NYRA get a life!
Classic “US exceptionalism”… why they let Canada and Mexico’s hipodromo {or maybe we aren’t North Americans lol} in is anyone’s guess :)