• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins

According to Equibase, Gary Stevens is 18 career wins shy of 5,000. That’s news to Gary Stevens. According to the Hall of Fame jockey, he won No. 5,000 at Belmont Park more than eight years ago, in October, 2005, aboard a 3-year-old filly named Joint Aspiration in the Gaviola Stakes.

“It’s a footnote to me,” Stevens said of the Equibase total of 4,982, “because I’m already over 5,000. I’m not excited about the so-called milestone or anything else; I’m excited about every win that I have.

“It upsets me that foreign wins aren’t counted. I’ve ridden and won Group races in France, England, Dubai, Hong Kong and consider myself an international rider, not just a Southern California rider, although my home is here and I love it.

“But do we not count European races?”

Equibase and Daily Racing Form only consider victories in North America, which accounts for the difference in Stevens’ totals.

Older Comments about Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins...

Win is a Win is a Win! Does a horse coming here in the USA lose conditions, gain NW status if they haven't won in the U.S.? If that were the case every horse racing in Europe would fill every maiden race at every race track! This Industry needs to get back to COMMON SENSE. A horse CANNOT run with a NASAL STRIP but you can inject him with LASIX? Who the heck, put that one on the books? Industry is STUCK ON STUPID! NYRA get a life!
Classic “US exceptionalism”… why they let Canada and Mexico’s hipodromo {or maybe we aren’t North Americans lol} in is anyone’s guess :)