• Favorite Tara's Tango surges to win the Santa Maria at the wire.Posted 21 hours ago
  • O'Neill's strengthens his stable of 3-year-olds as Frank Conversation wins the El Camino Real Derby.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Bolo nabs Obviously in the final strides of the Arcadia.Posted 1 day ago
  • BC Mile heroine Tepin crushes her foes in the Lambholm South Endeavor Stakes. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dancing House is ultra-game in taking the Barbara Fritchie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Penwith scores in the Royal Delta at Gulfstream Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Destin rolls home in the Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs.Posted 1 day ago
  • Polar River wins the UAE 1000 Guineas by a pole.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kobe's Back goes from last to first down the stretch to win the Palos Verdes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Storied Lady (4-1) up the rail to nip Saythreehailmary's in the Biogio's Rose.Posted 7 days ago

Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins

According to Equibase, Gary Stevens is 18 career wins shy of 5,000. That’s news to Gary Stevens. According to the Hall of Fame jockey, he won No. 5,000 at Belmont Park more than eight years ago, in October, 2005, aboard a 3-year-old filly named Joint Aspiration in the Gaviola Stakes.

“It’s a footnote to me,” Stevens said of the Equibase total of 4,982, “because I’m already over 5,000. I’m not excited about the so-called milestone or anything else; I’m excited about every win that I have.

“It upsets me that foreign wins aren’t counted. I’ve ridden and won Group races in France, England, Dubai, Hong Kong and consider myself an international rider, not just a Southern California rider, although my home is here and I love it.

“But do we not count European races?”

Equibase and Daily Racing Form only consider victories in North America, which accounts for the difference in Stevens’ totals.

Older Comments about Stevens Already has 5,000 Career Wins...

Win is a Win is a Win! Does a horse coming here in the USA lose conditions, gain NW status if they haven't won in the U.S.? If that were the case every horse racing in Europe would fill every maiden race at every race track! This Industry needs to get back to COMMON SENSE. A horse CANNOT run with a NASAL STRIP but you can inject him with LASIX? Who the heck, put that one on the books? Industry is STUCK ON STUPID! NYRA get a life!
Classic “US exceptionalism”… why they let Canada and Mexico’s hipodromo {or maybe we aren’t North Americans lol} in is anyone’s guess :)