• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Star Guitar: The King of Louisiana

Brittlyn Stable’s Star Guitar became the highest-earning Louisiana-bred in history with a gutsy win over Klaravich Stables’ Populist Politics in the Southern Oaks Plantation Costa Rising Stakes. The $90,000 event was guaranteed to push the son of Quiet American over the previous record holder Happy Ticket provided he won.

For much of the race, Star Guitar looked up against it as String King set moderate fractions with a loose lead. In the stretch, Populist Politics took over from String King but was unable to fend-off Star Guitar who dug-in for the narrow win. Robert Orth & Wes Hawley’s Get In Da House made a rally on the outside to grab third while String King faded to fourth.

“He’s a type of horse that gives you a lot of confidence going into a race,” said winning trainer Al Stall Jr. “Honestly, I was a little worried going into the turn he looked like he had to get him to run a little bit which is unusual. I would have to say he ran his ‘B’ race or so but he’s just that kind of horse. He just overcomes the weight he is carrying, the wide trip. That’s Star Guitar. That’s why he is who he is.”

The win was the 10th at Fair Grounds for Star Guitar and his 23rd overall from just 28 career starts. Corey Lanerie was along for the ride.

“You know, breaking from the outside he broke a little sharp and he went wider around the first than I expected,” Lanerie said. “I thought I was on the best horse. I tried to keep him out of trouble and I rode with a touch too much confidence today. They made us run down the lane and work. He proved that he’s the best and that he is going to get it done.”

Star Guitar paid $3.20, $2.80 and $2.10. Populist Politics paid $4.60 and $2.40. Get In A Da House paid $2.20 for the show. The final time was 1:44.01.

“I must say that there’s no owner that could actually imagine that this happening to them,” said owner Evelyn Benoit. “He’s simply the best and today we get to say he proved it. He deserves it. I’m thrilled. I love Louisiana. I’m so happy it happened here at the Fair Grounds.”

--Travis Stone

KISSIMMEE KYLE TAKES BAYOU ST. JOHN

In The final stakes race of the day, and of the 140th Thoroughrbed Racing Season, Red Oak Stable’s Kissimmee Kyle drew off for an easy 3 ¼-length win in the $60,000 Bayou St. John Stakes for Louisiana-bred turf sprinters.