• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 4 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Star-Crossed Mare Life At Ten Retired

Life At Ten, the star-crossed multiple grade I winner whose career will likely be best remembered for a race she did not win, has been retired following a last-place finish in the $350,000 Beldame Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park on Oct. 1.

“We just feel like it’s time,” David Vance, racing manager for owner Candy DeBartolo, said Oct. 3, adding that the 6-year-old mare will be sold at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale. “She’s had a remarkable career. She’s still a multiple grade I winning millionaire and that term doesn’t apply to many horses. She’s probably the prettiest horse I have seen since Secretariat, but I’m not very objective.”

Trained by Todd Pletcher, Life At Ten won eight races—six in stakes--from 22 starts and earned $1,277,515. In 2010, the daughter of Malibu Moon won the Sixty Sails Handicap (gr. III), Ogden Phipps (gr. I), Delaware Handicap (gr. II), and Beldame (gr. I) leading up to the Ladies’ Classic. She was winless in five starts this year, with third-place efforts in the Delaware Handicap and Allaire DuPont Distaff Stakes (gr. III).