• Abel Tasman (12-1) gets up in time to beat American Gal in the Grade 1 Starlet.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Mastery (1-5) shrugs off his competition in the Grade 1 Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Party Boat (5-2) gets her head down to win the Wait a While.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Fact Finding (8-5) draws clear of the Smooth Air field and keeps a perfect record.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Lovable Lady (12-1) blasts away in the Willa On the Move Stakes.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Paulassilverlining (1-9) makes easy work of the Garland of Roses field.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Sonic Mule (3-1) keeps the wins for Todd Pletcher rolling in the Buffalo Man.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Tapwrit (3-2) holds off stablemate Master Plan to win the Pulpit.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Lirica (5-2) finds a clear path to take the Hut Hut Stakes.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Bode's Dream (5-2) returns victorious in the House Party to remain undefeated.Posted 16 hours ago

Spawr & Delgadillo a Winning Combination

Agapito Delgadillo and Bill Spawr have a relationship of mutual respect. Together, the 46-year-old jockey and the 73-year-old trainer are one of the best-kept secrets outside of racing cognoscenti, but the facts are these: through 35 days of Santa Anita’s 71-day meet, Spawr has won with 28 percent of his starters (seven for 25), with Delgadillo winning on six of the 18 horses he has ridden for Spawr.

“He’s a good horseman,” Spawr said of Delgadillo, whose agent is Saul Marquez. “Agapito reminds me of Laffit (Pincay Jr.). He’s that kind of rider. He can come back and tell you something about a horse you wouldn’t expect him to know just from one ride. How? It’s called experience.

“I’m the trainer. I know. He shouldn’t know just being on a horse one time, but he does.”

Delgadillo had 10 wins, seven seconds and 11 thirds from 67 mounts through Monday, with six of the wins for Spawr.

“When I work his horses in the mornings, I get to know them,” Delgadillo said. “Bill knows what he’s doing. He’s a very good trainer. It’s not too tough for me to win races for people like him.

“I won a race for him at Fairplex a couple years ago and I think that’s how I got his attention. Then, little by little, I rode more and more for him and we’ve done very well together.”