• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 22 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Spawr & Delgadillo a Winning Combination

Agapito Delgadillo and Bill Spawr have a relationship of mutual respect. Together, the 46-year-old jockey and the 73-year-old trainer are one of the best-kept secrets outside of racing cognoscenti, but the facts are these: through 35 days of Santa Anita’s 71-day meet, Spawr has won with 28 percent of his starters (seven for 25), with Delgadillo winning on six of the 18 horses he has ridden for Spawr.

“He’s a good horseman,” Spawr said of Delgadillo, whose agent is Saul Marquez. “Agapito reminds me of Laffit (Pincay Jr.). He’s that kind of rider. He can come back and tell you something about a horse you wouldn’t expect him to know just from one ride. How? It’s called experience.

“I’m the trainer. I know. He shouldn’t know just being on a horse one time, but he does.”

Delgadillo had 10 wins, seven seconds and 11 thirds from 67 mounts through Monday, with six of the wins for Spawr.

“When I work his horses in the mornings, I get to know them,” Delgadillo said. “Bill knows what he’s doing. He’s a very good trainer. It’s not too tough for me to win races for people like him.

“I won a race for him at Fairplex a couple years ago and I think that’s how I got his attention. Then, little by little, I rode more and more for him and we’ve done very well together.”