• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 2 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 2 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 6 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 7 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 9 days ago

Spawr & Delgadillo a Winning Combination

Agapito Delgadillo and Bill Spawr have a relationship of mutual respect. Together, the 46-year-old jockey and the 73-year-old trainer are one of the best-kept secrets outside of racing cognoscenti, but the facts are these: through 35 days of Santa Anita’s 71-day meet, Spawr has won with 28 percent of his starters (seven for 25), with Delgadillo winning on six of the 18 horses he has ridden for Spawr.

“He’s a good horseman,” Spawr said of Delgadillo, whose agent is Saul Marquez. “Agapito reminds me of Laffit (Pincay Jr.). He’s that kind of rider. He can come back and tell you something about a horse you wouldn’t expect him to know just from one ride. How? It’s called experience.

“I’m the trainer. I know. He shouldn’t know just being on a horse one time, but he does.”

Delgadillo had 10 wins, seven seconds and 11 thirds from 67 mounts through Monday, with six of the wins for Spawr.

“When I work his horses in the mornings, I get to know them,” Delgadillo said. “Bill knows what he’s doing. He’s a very good trainer. It’s not too tough for me to win races for people like him.

“I won a race for him at Fairplex a couple years ago and I think that’s how I got his attention. Then, little by little, I rode more and more for him and we’ve done very well together.”