• Stellar Wind (9-2) overtakes a battling Beholder (1-9) in the Clement L. Hirsch (G1).Posted 4 hours ago
  • Laoban (27-1) wins his very first race in 8 starts in the Jim Dandy (G2).Posted 7 hours ago
  • A.P. Indian (9-2) gets the jump on Holy Boss (3-1) to win the Alfred G. Vanderbilt (G1). Posted 7 hours ago
  • Stonetastic (2-5) cruises to an easy victory in the Regret.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou (1-5) refuses to let Internal Bourbon (9-2) by in the Victoriana.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Flintshire (1-9) fights his way through and rolls to victory in the Bowling Green (G2).Posted 8 hours ago
  • Mind Your Biscuits (3-1) runs up the rail to win the Amsterdam (G2).Posted 10 hours ago
  • Connect, a son of Curlin, connects in the Curlin Stakes at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 3 days ago

Spawr & Delgadillo a Winning Combination

Agapito Delgadillo and Bill Spawr have a relationship of mutual respect. Together, the 46-year-old jockey and the 73-year-old trainer are one of the best-kept secrets outside of racing cognoscenti, but the facts are these: through 35 days of Santa Anita’s 71-day meet, Spawr has won with 28 percent of his starters (seven for 25), with Delgadillo winning on six of the 18 horses he has ridden for Spawr.

“He’s a good horseman,” Spawr said of Delgadillo, whose agent is Saul Marquez. “Agapito reminds me of Laffit (Pincay Jr.). He’s that kind of rider. He can come back and tell you something about a horse you wouldn’t expect him to know just from one ride. How? It’s called experience.

“I’m the trainer. I know. He shouldn’t know just being on a horse one time, but he does.”

Delgadillo had 10 wins, seven seconds and 11 thirds from 67 mounts through Monday, with six of the wins for Spawr.

“When I work his horses in the mornings, I get to know them,” Delgadillo said. “Bill knows what he’s doing. He’s a very good trainer. It’s not too tough for me to win races for people like him.

“I won a race for him at Fairplex a couple years ago and I think that’s how I got his attention. Then, little by little, I rode more and more for him and we’ve done very well together.”