• Ulysses (Galileo) powers by Churchill and Barney Roy in the Group 1 Juddmonte International.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Cracksman (Frankel) cruises to a big victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes at York.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Diversify (1-2) rolls home a big winner in the Evan Shipman.Posted 2 days ago
  • Blackjackcat (8-1) holds off Vyjack to win the Del Mar Mile.Posted 2 days ago
  • Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 3 days ago
  • Hunt (3-1) scores his second graded stakes win of the meet, this time in the Del Mar Handicap.Posted 3 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Spawr & Delgadillo a Winning Combination

Agapito Delgadillo and Bill Spawr have a relationship of mutual respect. Together, the 46-year-old jockey and the 73-year-old trainer are one of the best-kept secrets outside of racing cognoscenti, but the facts are these: through 35 days of Santa Anita’s 71-day meet, Spawr has won with 28 percent of his starters (seven for 25), with Delgadillo winning on six of the 18 horses he has ridden for Spawr.

“He’s a good horseman,” Spawr said of Delgadillo, whose agent is Saul Marquez. “Agapito reminds me of Laffit (Pincay Jr.). He’s that kind of rider. He can come back and tell you something about a horse you wouldn’t expect him to know just from one ride. How? It’s called experience.

“I’m the trainer. I know. He shouldn’t know just being on a horse one time, but he does.”

Delgadillo had 10 wins, seven seconds and 11 thirds from 67 mounts through Monday, with six of the wins for Spawr.

“When I work his horses in the mornings, I get to know them,” Delgadillo said. “Bill knows what he’s doing. He’s a very good trainer. It’s not too tough for me to win races for people like him.

“I won a race for him at Fairplex a couple years ago and I think that’s how I got his attention. Then, little by little, I rode more and more for him and we’ve done very well together.”