• Bowies Hero (3-1) much the best in the Oceanside Stakes on opening day at Del Mar.Posted 1 day ago
  • Irap (7-5) romps home a big winner of the Indiana Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Eagle (5-2) rides the rail to victory in the Schaefer Memorial.Posted 5 days ago
  • West Coast (2-5) powers home nicely in the Los Alamitos Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) wins the Delaware Handicap by only a length.Posted 5 days ago
  • Disco Partner (7-5) runs away from his Forbidden Apple competition.Posted 5 days ago
  • Frostmourne (1-2) turns the Kent Stakes into his own private party.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harry Angel defeats Limato and Caravaggio in the Group 1 July Cup.Posted 5 days ago
  • European champion filly Minding has been retired from racing.Posted 7 days ago
  • Hawkbill (Kitten's Joy) scores in the Group 2 Princess of Wales's at Newmarket.Posted 7 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

South Beach Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

SOUTH BEACH

Mary Eppler (Way With Words) – “She really needs a couple of races to get going (after layoff). She’s a big mare and getting older probably explains it too. She’s very versatile. Last year we prepared her for a Jersey-bred race at Monmouth going long, but they cancelled that two days before and left us with the option to run in a race going short (Eleven North). She won by four (lengths). We’ll take her home to Laurel (Park) now. With her there are plenty of options.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Way With Words, 1st) – “I made my move a little early, but I knew I had a lot of horse under me and I didn’t want to wait. The favorite (Akilina) was stuck behind horses, so I knew I could get away from her and make her come and catch me. And when I moved, my horse just kept rolling. I was a little surprised that no other horses were coming to me late and that it wasn’t even close at the finish.”