• There's no catching Si Sage in the Grade 2 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Santa Anita.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou returns to her winning ways in today's Grade 2 Nassau Stakes.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Enola Gray takes the Melair gate to wire.Posted 1 day ago
  • Surgical Strike charges on the outside to win the Arlington Classic (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Diva Express and I'm a Looker make a dead heat run in the Winning Colors (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Flipcup game in Arlington Matron (G3) victory.Posted 1 day ago
  • In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 6 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 7 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 8 days ago

South Beach Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

SOUTH BEACH

Mary Eppler (Way With Words) – “She really needs a couple of races to get going (after layoff). She’s a big mare and getting older probably explains it too. She’s very versatile. Last year we prepared her for a Jersey-bred race at Monmouth going long, but they cancelled that two days before and left us with the option to run in a race going short (Eleven North). She won by four (lengths). We’ll take her home to Laurel (Park) now. With her there are plenty of options.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Way With Words, 1st) – “I made my move a little early, but I knew I had a lot of horse under me and I didn’t want to wait. The favorite (Akilina) was stuck behind horses, so I knew I could get away from her and make her come and catch me. And when I moved, my horse just kept rolling. I was a little surprised that no other horses were coming to me late and that it wasn’t even close at the finish.”