• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 3 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 3 days ago

South Beach Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

SOUTH BEACH

Mary Eppler (Way With Words) – “She really needs a couple of races to get going (after layoff). She’s a big mare and getting older probably explains it too. She’s very versatile. Last year we prepared her for a Jersey-bred race at Monmouth going long, but they cancelled that two days before and left us with the option to run in a race going short (Eleven North). She won by four (lengths). We’ll take her home to Laurel (Park) now. With her there are plenty of options.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Way With Words, 1st) – “I made my move a little early, but I knew I had a lot of horse under me and I didn’t want to wait. The favorite (Akilina) was stuck behind horses, so I knew I could get away from her and make her come and catch me. And when I moved, my horse just kept rolling. I was a little surprised that no other horses were coming to me late and that it wasn’t even close at the finish.”