• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 1 day ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 1 day ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 2 days ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 5 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 7 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 8 days ago

South Beach Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

SOUTH BEACH

Mary Eppler (Way With Words) – “She really needs a couple of races to get going (after layoff). She’s a big mare and getting older probably explains it too. She’s very versatile. Last year we prepared her for a Jersey-bred race at Monmouth going long, but they cancelled that two days before and left us with the option to run in a race going short (Eleven North). She won by four (lengths). We’ll take her home to Laurel (Park) now. With her there are plenty of options.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Way With Words, 1st) – “I made my move a little early, but I knew I had a lot of horse under me and I didn’t want to wait. The favorite (Akilina) was stuck behind horses, so I knew I could get away from her and make her come and catch me. And when I moved, my horse just kept rolling. I was a little surprised that no other horses were coming to me late and that it wasn’t even close at the finish.”