Breeders' Cup 2014

GET FREE BREEDERS' CUP PICKS!  WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • Untapable and a retiring Rosie Napravnik earn the top prize in the BC Distaff! Posted 10 hours ago
  • Lady Eli rides the rails to victory in the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf! Posted 10 hours ago
  • Goldencents wins his second Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile! Posted 10 hours ago
  • Hootenanny keys a 1-2 BC Juvenile Turf for Wesley Ward! Posted 10 hours ago
  • American Pharoah is out of the BC Juvenile due to a bone bruise. Posted 3 days ago
  • Dame Dorothy remains unbeaten in the Turnback the Alarm! Posted 5 days ago
  • West Coast Belle wins the Rags to Riches for fun! Posted 5 days ago
  • Conquest Tsunami storms to victory in the Street Sense! Posted 5 days ago
  • Military Attack defeats a top field in the Sha Tin Trophy! Posted 5 days ago
  • Canadian Lexie Lou wins the Autumn Miss at Santa Anita! Posted 6 days ago

Skyring Triumphant in Dixie Stakes

Skyring wins 2013 Dixie Stakes.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Calumet Farm’s Skyring, who captured the James W. Murphy at Pimlico on Preakness Day last year, returned Saturday to triumph in the $300,000 Longines Dixie Stakes (G2) at Old Hilltop.

One of two starters saddled by Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas, Skyring set all of the pace and held off a late-charging Wilcox Inn by a half-length in the 1 1/8-mile turf stakes. The Lukas-trained Optimizer closed through traffic late to finish third.

Skyring carried veteran Gary Stevens to a 24-1 upset victory in 1:47.87 for 1 1/8 miles over firm turf, paying $50.40 to win.

Imagining, the post time favorite, finished next-to-last in the field of 11.

LONGINES DIXIE STAKES QUOTES

D. Wayne Lukas (trainer, Skyring, winner; Optimizer, 3rd) – “This horse loved this turf course last year. That’s why I told the owner, ‘We need to enter both of them.’ There’s really not that much difference between them. The public totally disregarded him even though he was very good last year. Optimizer ran a very good race. I wasn’t that disappointed. He had a little trouble and was in tight. Skyring is just a fighter.”

Gary Stevens (jockey, Skyring, winner) – “He went to the front easy enough and we were able to back things up and he just sprinted home. A very impressive performance.”

Michael Stidham (trainer, Wilcox Inn, 2nd) – “It didn’t look to me like he got into any trouble. James (Graham) switched him out to get clear and it didn’t look like he had to check at all. We didn’t run in the Woodford Reserve at Churchill because Wise Dan was in there and we are tired of chasing him. He will go back to Arlington.”

James Graham (jockey, Wilcox Inn, 2nd) – “I didn’t have quite the trip I wanted to. But I’m certainly not unhappy with the effort he gave me. I thought I had a chance to catch the winner down the stretch, but I was just moving too late.”

Graham Motion (trainer, Howe Great, 4th) – “He was right where he wanted to be. I really couldn't give him an excuse. I thought Alan  (Garcia) gave him a perfect ride. He wasn't beaten very far, and it was a very competitive race, so I'm not too disappointed."

Alan Garcia (jockey, Howe Great, 4th) – “I had a very good trip. It was a tough horse race. My horse gave me everything he had.”

Javier Castellano (jockey, Imagining, 10th) – “He didn’t break that sharp out of the gate. That changed all the strategy because my horse is not a come-from-behind horse. He likes to be in the clear near the leaders. Unfortunately, he broke kind of slow today.”