• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 7 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Skyring Triumphant in Dixie Stakes

Skyring wins 2013 Dixie Stakes.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Calumet Farm’s Skyring, who captured the James W. Murphy at Pimlico on Preakness Day last year, returned Saturday to triumph in the $300,000 Longines Dixie Stakes (G2) at Old Hilltop.

One of two starters saddled by Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas, Skyring set all of the pace and held off a late-charging Wilcox Inn by a half-length in the 1 1/8-mile turf stakes. The Lukas-trained Optimizer closed through traffic late to finish third.

Skyring carried veteran Gary Stevens to a 24-1 upset victory in 1:47.87 for 1 1/8 miles over firm turf, paying $50.40 to win.

Imagining, the post time favorite, finished next-to-last in the field of 11.

LONGINES DIXIE STAKES QUOTES

D. Wayne Lukas (trainer, Skyring, winner; Optimizer, 3rd) – “This horse loved this turf course last year. That’s why I told the owner, ‘We need to enter both of them.’ There’s really not that much difference between them. The public totally disregarded him even though he was very good last year. Optimizer ran a very good race. I wasn’t that disappointed. He had a little trouble and was in tight. Skyring is just a fighter.”

Gary Stevens (jockey, Skyring, winner) – “He went to the front easy enough and we were able to back things up and he just sprinted home. A very impressive performance.”

Michael Stidham (trainer, Wilcox Inn, 2nd) – “It didn’t look to me like he got into any trouble. James (Graham) switched him out to get clear and it didn’t look like he had to check at all. We didn’t run in the Woodford Reserve at Churchill because Wise Dan was in there and we are tired of chasing him. He will go back to Arlington.”

James Graham (jockey, Wilcox Inn, 2nd) – “I didn’t have quite the trip I wanted to. But I’m certainly not unhappy with the effort he gave me. I thought I had a chance to catch the winner down the stretch, but I was just moving too late.”

Graham Motion (trainer, Howe Great, 4th) – “He was right where he wanted to be. I really couldn't give him an excuse. I thought Alan  (Garcia) gave him a perfect ride. He wasn't beaten very far, and it was a very competitive race, so I'm not too disappointed."

Alan Garcia (jockey, Howe Great, 4th) – “I had a very good trip. It was a tough horse race. My horse gave me everything he had.”

Javier Castellano (jockey, Imagining, 10th) – “He didn’t break that sharp out of the gate. That changed all the strategy because my horse is not a come-from-behind horse. He likes to be in the clear near the leaders. Unfortunately, he broke kind of slow today.”