• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Skyring Hangs On in Muniz

Calumet Farm’s Skyring broke in full stride to make all the pace in Saturday’s Grade II Mervin Muniz Memorial Handicap over the soft Stall Wilson turf course at Fair Grounds Race Course under jockey Joe Rocco and came home a neck in front of Wachtel Stable et al.’s Amira’s Prince, who won this race that serves as Fair Grounds’ premier grass test last season.

Conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Wayne Lukas, Skyring, who finished second by only a nose in the Grade III Fair Grounds Handicap here Feb. 22, returned surprisingly generous mutuels of $17.40, $5.20 and $3.20, set early splits of :25.10 and :50.79 before accomplishing the about nine-furlong distance in 1:52.01, and increased his career earnings to $659,061 with his fifth win in 28 lifetime starts.

“When I turned for home and he switched leads for me, he kicked so hard I would have been surprised if anyone ran him down,” said Rocco.  “I knew Mike’s horse (Amira’s Prince) was coming for me, but even though the stretch here is so long, I thought we were going to get there.”

Amira’s Prince, ridden by Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith, was allowed to settle behind the early leaders, rallied to be easily second best by three lengths over Mike Maker’s Burn the Mortgage.

“If I could do it all over again I would have followed the horse up the rail and instead won by a head,” said Smith.

Amira’s Prince paid $2.60 and $2.10 and Burn the Mortgage returned $3.60 to show.

Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Real Solution and Maribel Ruelas’ Potomac River completed the order of finish.