• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 6 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 6 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 6 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 6 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Skyring Hangs On in Muniz

Calumet Farm’s Skyring broke in full stride to make all the pace in Saturday’s Grade II Mervin Muniz Memorial Handicap over the soft Stall Wilson turf course at Fair Grounds Race Course under jockey Joe Rocco and came home a neck in front of Wachtel Stable et al.’s Amira’s Prince, who won this race that serves as Fair Grounds’ premier grass test last season.

Conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Wayne Lukas, Skyring, who finished second by only a nose in the Grade III Fair Grounds Handicap here Feb. 22, returned surprisingly generous mutuels of $17.40, $5.20 and $3.20, set early splits of :25.10 and :50.79 before accomplishing the about nine-furlong distance in 1:52.01, and increased his career earnings to $659,061 with his fifth win in 28 lifetime starts.

“When I turned for home and he switched leads for me, he kicked so hard I would have been surprised if anyone ran him down,” said Rocco.  “I knew Mike’s horse (Amira’s Prince) was coming for me, but even though the stretch here is so long, I thought we were going to get there.”

Amira’s Prince, ridden by Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith, was allowed to settle behind the early leaders, rallied to be easily second best by three lengths over Mike Maker’s Burn the Mortgage.

“If I could do it all over again I would have followed the horse up the rail and instead won by a head,” said Smith.

Amira’s Prince paid $2.60 and $2.10 and Burn the Mortgage returned $3.60 to show.

Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Real Solution and Maribel Ruelas’ Potomac River completed the order of finish.