• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Skyring Hangs On in Muniz

Calumet Farm’s Skyring broke in full stride to make all the pace in Saturday’s Grade II Mervin Muniz Memorial Handicap over the soft Stall Wilson turf course at Fair Grounds Race Course under jockey Joe Rocco and came home a neck in front of Wachtel Stable et al.’s Amira’s Prince, who won this race that serves as Fair Grounds’ premier grass test last season.

Conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Wayne Lukas, Skyring, who finished second by only a nose in the Grade III Fair Grounds Handicap here Feb. 22, returned surprisingly generous mutuels of $17.40, $5.20 and $3.20, set early splits of :25.10 and :50.79 before accomplishing the about nine-furlong distance in 1:52.01, and increased his career earnings to $659,061 with his fifth win in 28 lifetime starts.

“When I turned for home and he switched leads for me, he kicked so hard I would have been surprised if anyone ran him down,” said Rocco.  “I knew Mike’s horse (Amira’s Prince) was coming for me, but even though the stretch here is so long, I thought we were going to get there.”

Amira’s Prince, ridden by Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith, was allowed to settle behind the early leaders, rallied to be easily second best by three lengths over Mike Maker’s Burn the Mortgage.

“If I could do it all over again I would have followed the horse up the rail and instead won by a head,” said Smith.

Amira’s Prince paid $2.60 and $2.10 and Burn the Mortgage returned $3.60 to show.

Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Real Solution and Maribel Ruelas’ Potomac River completed the order of finish.