• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 26 minutes ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 11 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Sister Ginger Surprises at Oaklawn Park

Sister Ginger Surprises at Oaklawn Park
Photo: Oaklawn Park

Sister Ginger rebounded from a poor performance opening day to win Saturday’s $75,000 Martha Washington Stakes in front-running fashion. In the process, the 3-year-old Student Council filly, trained by Steve Asmussen, earned 10 points towards entry into the May 3 $1 million Kentucky Oaks based on Churchill Downs’ new criteria for making the race.

Overlooked at odds of nearly 20-1, Sister Ginger shot to the lead from post four and was allowed to set leisurely fractions of 23 4/5 and 48 3/5 for the first half mile. The even-money favorite Rose to Gold joined her at the top of the stretch and briefly took the lead, but when jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. asked, the winner responded and drew off  through the stretch to win the one-mile race by 2 ¾ lengths in a final time of 1:39 2/5 on a fast track.

Broken Spell overcame a wide trip after racing in last place to finish third, a half-length in front of Dixie Belle Stakes winner American Sugar. Liberty Girl, I Am Miss Brown, Cloudy in Sandiego and Lady Stonewall completed the order of finish.

“It was the perfect trip,” and Santana Jr. “She made the lead fairly easily. When I moved her, I had a lot of horse in my hand. She moved nice. When I was beside the number 9 (Rose to Gold), I bumped with her a little bit and my filly got a little scared, but when I pushed her in the stretch, she went on and won the race.”

Sister Ginger, who races for her breeders Millennium Farms and Little Brother Farm, improved her career record to two wins from six starts and has now earned $87,761. She returned $41.20, $12.40 and $7.20.