• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Setsuko Hurts Leg in Big Cap

Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella reported that injury has been added to what he considers insult, as Big ‘Cap runner-up Setsuko has sustained an injured left front leg, which resulted from contact with favored Twirling Candy during the controversial stretch run of Saturday’s main event.

“He came out of the race with a cut on his left front leg,” said Mandella. “He’s got a lot of swelling in the leg and we’re treating it, hoping that it isn’t going to become more serious. There’s no question he got cut by Twirling Candy.”

Setsuko, Twirling Candy and the winner, Game on Dude, were involved in repeated contact approaching the eighth pole, resulting in a 12-minute inquiry, after which it was announced that the stewards had made no change to the original order of finish.

“I said yesterday that I had no comment and I don’t want to drag the game down by saying anything now about the decision the stewards made” Mandella said. “I think they should talk to the jockeys, but I think it was chicken (stuff) that (winning trainer Bob) Baffert was trying to talk to the other jockeys and to the stewards.

“I was trying to be a gentleman and unless the trainer is claiming foul, I just don’t think it’s right that he is trying to talk to the jocks and to the stewards.”

Mandella is a three-time winner of the Santa Anita Handicap, winning it in 1997 with Siphon, in ’98 with Malek and in 2005 with Rock Hard Ten.