• Hoppertunity nips Imperative by a San Antonio head-bob.Posted 14 hours ago
  • In her seasonal debut, Songbird is a dominant winner of the Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Lukes Alley kicks it in late to win the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Mor Spirit cruises late to win the Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Aussie-bred Power Alert gets there first in the GP Turf Sprint.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Tommy Macho runs away with the Fred Hooper at Gulfsrtream Park.Posted 19 hours ago
  • No catching Tammy the Torpedo in the turfy Suwannee River.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Lady Shipman (1-5) is an easy winner in the Lady's Turf Sprint at Gulfstream.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Cadet Roni relishes the slop in the Wishing Well at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Flora Dora gets to the wire first in the Big A's Busanda.Posted 6 days ago

Sensible Lady Upsets The Very One

Three Lyons Racing’s Sensible Lady upset the field in the $100,000 The Very One Stakes at 24-1 odds Friday at Pimlico Race Course.

Jockey Xavier Perez, who notched his first stakes victory at Pimlico, sent Sensible Lady after favored Inspired and the 3-year-old filly swept past the pacesetter in a flash to score by two lengths. Sensible lady ran five furlongs in :56.13 over the firm turf.  Jazzy Idea rallied to be second.  Inspired faded to third.

Tim Salzman trains the daughter of Street Sense, who collected her first stakes triumph while returning $51.60 to win.

The Very One Stakes Quotes

Tim Salzman (winning trainer, Sensible Lady) – “I’m not surprised at all. She ran a huge race here about a month ago. She ran a fast time with her neck bowed. We were delighted to run in the race. We had a shot, but they didn’t give us any credit on the board.”

Xavier Perez (winning jockey, Sensible Lady) – “We got away well and got into a good spot and waited to see what happened with the leaders. We saved ground and when a hole opened up, I went for it. We moved a little early and she gave 100 percent. This filly pulled away and never looked back. This is my first year in Maryland and my first stakes win. It’s amazing.”

Allen Iwinski (trainer, beaten favorite, Inspired, 3rd) – “She came into the race great. I’m not sure why she stopped the way she did. I could see her stopping with our plan of sending her. But I’m surprised she got beat as far as she did.”

John Velazquez (jockey, beaten favorite, Inspired, 3rd)“I was where I wanted to be that’s where they wanted me to be. We got away on the lead, but she went way too fast. She ran as fast as she could. The fractions were too much for her.”