• Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 7 hours ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Frosted is pointing to the Breeders' Cup Classic, per his connections.Posted 3 days ago
  • Erupt (IRE) at 12-1 closes to win the $1,000,000 Pattison Canadian International (G1)Posted 6 days ago
  • Al's Gal (6-1) wins the head bob and the E. P. Taylor (G1) at WoodbinePosted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Sensible Lady Upsets The Very One

Three Lyons Racing’s Sensible Lady upset the field in the $100,000 The Very One Stakes at 24-1 odds Friday at Pimlico Race Course.

Jockey Xavier Perez, who notched his first stakes victory at Pimlico, sent Sensible Lady after favored Inspired and the 3-year-old filly swept past the pacesetter in a flash to score by two lengths. Sensible lady ran five furlongs in :56.13 over the firm turf.  Jazzy Idea rallied to be second.  Inspired faded to third.

Tim Salzman trains the daughter of Street Sense, who collected her first stakes triumph while returning $51.60 to win.

The Very One Stakes Quotes

Tim Salzman (winning trainer, Sensible Lady) – “I’m not surprised at all. She ran a huge race here about a month ago. She ran a fast time with her neck bowed. We were delighted to run in the race. We had a shot, but they didn’t give us any credit on the board.”

Xavier Perez (winning jockey, Sensible Lady) – “We got away well and got into a good spot and waited to see what happened with the leaders. We saved ground and when a hole opened up, I went for it. We moved a little early and she gave 100 percent. This filly pulled away and never looked back. This is my first year in Maryland and my first stakes win. It’s amazing.”

Allen Iwinski (trainer, beaten favorite, Inspired, 3rd) – “She came into the race great. I’m not sure why she stopped the way she did. I could see her stopping with our plan of sending her. But I’m surprised she got beat as far as she did.”

John Velazquez (jockey, beaten favorite, Inspired, 3rd)“I was where I wanted to be that’s where they wanted me to be. We got away on the lead, but she went way too fast. She ran as fast as she could. The fractions were too much for her.”