• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Sensible Lady Upsets The Very One

Three Lyons Racing’s Sensible Lady upset the field in the $100,000 The Very One Stakes at 24-1 odds Friday at Pimlico Race Course.

Jockey Xavier Perez, who notched his first stakes victory at Pimlico, sent Sensible Lady after favored Inspired and the 3-year-old filly swept past the pacesetter in a flash to score by two lengths. Sensible lady ran five furlongs in :56.13 over the firm turf.  Jazzy Idea rallied to be second.  Inspired faded to third.

Tim Salzman trains the daughter of Street Sense, who collected her first stakes triumph while returning $51.60 to win.

The Very One Stakes Quotes

Tim Salzman (winning trainer, Sensible Lady) – “I’m not surprised at all. She ran a huge race here about a month ago. She ran a fast time with her neck bowed. We were delighted to run in the race. We had a shot, but they didn’t give us any credit on the board.”

Xavier Perez (winning jockey, Sensible Lady) – “We got away well and got into a good spot and waited to see what happened with the leaders. We saved ground and when a hole opened up, I went for it. We moved a little early and she gave 100 percent. This filly pulled away and never looked back. This is my first year in Maryland and my first stakes win. It’s amazing.”

Allen Iwinski (trainer, beaten favorite, Inspired, 3rd) – “She came into the race great. I’m not sure why she stopped the way she did. I could see her stopping with our plan of sending her. But I’m surprised she got beat as far as she did.”

John Velazquez (jockey, beaten favorite, Inspired, 3rd)“I was where I wanted to be that’s where they wanted me to be. We got away on the lead, but she went way too fast. She ran as fast as she could. The fractions were too much for her.”