• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 13 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Sassy Image gets up in Winning Colors

Meet-leading jockey Corey Lanerie hasn't made many mistakes this spring at Churchill Downs. But he thought he might have been a tad overconfident in riding odds-on favorite Sassy Image in Monday's $111,600 Winning Colors Stakes.

It didn't matter, as the 4-year-old Sassy Image closed from fifth to nail the gutsy pacesetter Beat the Blues in the final two strides for a neck victory in the Grade III stakes. The triumph gave Lanerie his third straight win on the holiday card and a 23-22 lead in the jockey standings over Shaun Bridgmohan.

“I thought I got up, but I tell you what, take nothing away from Beat the Blues,” Lanerie said. “She put in a game effort. It was a little short for my horse. I actually might have ridden her with too much confidence. I saw them going up there kind of fast, and I waited almost a little too long, thinking I had 'em where I wanted them. And that horse never stopped.”