• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 6 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 6 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 6 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Santa Anita: Bisono, Stute Share Big Day

Good things come in twos for Gary Stute. The son of retired trainer Mel Stute won two races back to back at Santa Anita yesterday, Tiz Dynamic ($16.40) in the sixth and Arresting Officer ($12.60) in the seventh. Each horse was ridden by Alex Bisono.

“I also won two races in one day at Hollywood on Dec. 15 and two when the Breeders’ Cup was run at Santa Anita in November,” Gary pointed out. “I guess I have to run two or three on the same day.”

Gary had high praise for the 28-year-old Bisono, whose book is handled by agent Brandon O’Bryan.

“Every horse I put that kid on, he rides perfect,” Stute said. “He hasn’t given me a bad ride yet. I used to ride him years ago when Debbie Olsen (currently working as Santa Anita’s Publicity Coordinator) had his book. He went to ride in Northern California for a while, and when Matt (Garcia) quit riding, he was always my go-to guy, so I didn’t really have anyone.”

On hand Monday morning to help celebrate Gary’s big day was his 85-year-old father, Mel, recovering from a head injury in a spill two weeks ago. Mel, with the aid of a walker and family and friends, made it to his regular table at Clockers’ Corner despite nippy weather that had dipped into the 30s before sunup.

“It’s good to be here again,” said Mel, who didn’t push his luck first day back, opting not to stay for the races.