• Stellar Wind (9-2) overtakes a battling Beholder (1-9) in the Clement L. Hirsch (G1).Posted 2 hours ago
  • Laoban (27-1) wins his very first race in 8 starts in the Jim Dandy (G2).Posted 5 hours ago
  • A.P. Indian (9-2) gets the jump on Holy Boss (3-1) to win the Alfred G. Vanderbilt (G1). Posted 5 hours ago
  • Stonetastic (2-5) cruises to an easy victory in the Regret.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou (1-5) refuses to let Internal Bourbon (9-2) by in the Victoriana.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Flintshire (1-9) fights his way through and rolls to victory in the Bowling Green (G2).Posted 7 hours ago
  • Mind Your Biscuits (3-1) runs up the rail to win the Amsterdam (G2).Posted 8 hours ago
  • Connect, a son of Curlin, connects in the Curlin Stakes at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 3 days ago

Santa Anita: Bisono, Stute Share Big Day

Good things come in twos for Gary Stute. The son of retired trainer Mel Stute won two races back to back at Santa Anita yesterday, Tiz Dynamic ($16.40) in the sixth and Arresting Officer ($12.60) in the seventh. Each horse was ridden by Alex Bisono.

“I also won two races in one day at Hollywood on Dec. 15 and two when the Breeders’ Cup was run at Santa Anita in November,” Gary pointed out. “I guess I have to run two or three on the same day.”

Gary had high praise for the 28-year-old Bisono, whose book is handled by agent Brandon O’Bryan.

“Every horse I put that kid on, he rides perfect,” Stute said. “He hasn’t given me a bad ride yet. I used to ride him years ago when Debbie Olsen (currently working as Santa Anita’s Publicity Coordinator) had his book. He went to ride in Northern California for a while, and when Matt (Garcia) quit riding, he was always my go-to guy, so I didn’t really have anyone.”

On hand Monday morning to help celebrate Gary’s big day was his 85-year-old father, Mel, recovering from a head injury in a spill two weeks ago. Mel, with the aid of a walker and family and friends, made it to his regular table at Clockers’ Corner despite nippy weather that had dipped into the 30s before sunup.

“It’s good to be here again,” said Mel, who didn’t push his luck first day back, opting not to stay for the races.