• Capla Temptress (5-1) rolls home in the Natalma, while making her North American debut.Posted 5 days ago
  • Untamed Domain (3-1) kicks it in late to win the Summer Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 5 days ago
  • World Approval (2-1) shows he is much the best in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile.Posted 6 days ago
  • Patrona Margarita (23-1) draws clear in the Grade 2 Pocahontas.Posted 6 days ago
  • Uni (6-5) runs down La Coronel in the Grade 2 Sands Point.Posted 6 days ago
  • Johnny Bear (9-1) noses out Hawkbill in the Grade 1 Northern Dancer Turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Chublicious (10-1) upsets the Grade 3 Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash.Posted 6 days ago
  • The Tabulator (4-1) holds on in the Grade 3 Iroquois despite drifting out.Posted 6 days ago
  • Quidura (2-5) proves best in Grade 2 Canadian.Posted 6 days ago
  • Winx rolls late in the Colgate Optic White Stakes for her 20th straight victory!Posted 7 days ago

Santa Anita: Bisono, Stute Share Big Day

Good things come in twos for Gary Stute. The son of retired trainer Mel Stute won two races back to back at Santa Anita yesterday, Tiz Dynamic ($16.40) in the sixth and Arresting Officer ($12.60) in the seventh. Each horse was ridden by Alex Bisono.

“I also won two races in one day at Hollywood on Dec. 15 and two when the Breeders’ Cup was run at Santa Anita in November,” Gary pointed out. “I guess I have to run two or three on the same day.”

Gary had high praise for the 28-year-old Bisono, whose book is handled by agent Brandon O’Bryan.

“Every horse I put that kid on, he rides perfect,” Stute said. “He hasn’t given me a bad ride yet. I used to ride him years ago when Debbie Olsen (currently working as Santa Anita’s Publicity Coordinator) had his book. He went to ride in Northern California for a while, and when Matt (Garcia) quit riding, he was always my go-to guy, so I didn’t really have anyone.”

On hand Monday morning to help celebrate Gary’s big day was his 85-year-old father, Mel, recovering from a head injury in a spill two weeks ago. Mel, with the aid of a walker and family and friends, made it to his regular table at Clockers’ Corner despite nippy weather that had dipped into the 30s before sunup.

“It’s good to be here again,” said Mel, who didn’t push his luck first day back, opting not to stay for the races.