• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 2 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 3 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 7 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 8 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 9 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 10 days ago

Sage Valley Bursts Away in Maryland Sprint 'Cap

Sage Valley Bursts Away in Maryland Sprint 'Cap
Michael Dubb’s Sage Valley pressed the pace before bursting away to a convincing score in the $150,000 Maryland Sprint Handicap (G3) at Pimlico Race Course.

Saddled by Rudy Rodriquez, the son of Discreet Cat left the gate as the narrow betting favorite at 2.30-1 in the six-furlong sprint on the main track. Hardened Wildcat, a very close second choice at 2.40-1, rallied to finish second, 2 ¼ lengths behind the winner. Laurie’s Rocket took third.

Ridden by John Velazquez, Sage Valley ($6.60) ran the six furlongs in 1:10.51 while registering his fourth straight victory and second stakes in a row.   He won the Mr Nasty Stakes at Aqueduct last November.

MARYLAND SPRINT HANDICAP QUOTES

Rudy Rodriguez (trainer, Sage Valley, winner) – “The race came up pretty tough. I was looking for a race in New York, but I’m glad I came to this one. He ran great. He’s a nice horse; he’s lightly raced. He’s had some issues so we have to take our time with him and he’ll perform. Johnny (Velazquez) rode him nicely.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Sage Valley, winner) – “We had a perfect post position and we had a perfect trip. I thought there was plenty of speed in the race and if I could sit just off the lead and make a run down the lane that would be perfect. He responded just the way a horse should.”

Chad Brown (trainer, Hardened Wildcat, 2nd) – “He was a little far behind, but that's him. He's a come-from-behind sprinter. He made his move. The winner was the best horse today. We were just second-best. He's a nice horse. We'll just get him back home and evaluate him and pick another nice spot. I was proud of the way the horse ran. I'm disappointed he didn't win, but he did run his race. He was just second-best."

Javier Castellano (jockey, Hardened Wildcat, 2nd) – “The trainer told me to sit behind the speed duel and let him try and come from behind. I tried to cut the corner but I couldn’t and lost a lot of ground on the final turn. I was just second-best today.”