• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 5 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Rival Trainers Impressed With Shared Belief

Racing fans across the country are filling up the bandwagon following Shared Belief’s dazzling victory in the Grade I CashCall Futurity Dec. 14.

But it’s not only racing enthusiasts that are following the Candy Ride gelding.  Horsemen who have raced against him are also heaping praise on the 2-year-old trained by Hall of Famer Jerry Hollendorfer.

“I thought he was the best 2-year-old in the country before the Futurity,” said trainer John Sadler, whose two horses finished a distant second (Candy Boy) and tenth (Kobe’s Back).

“I saw nothing to change my mind.  The only question left is if he can do it on dirt.”

Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, who has won the CashCall Futurity a record six times, echoed that sentiment.  “He’s really good for a horse coming on this late,” observed Baffert, who saddled Tap It Rich for an 11th place finish in the CashCall.  “Let’s see if he can duplicate his form on dirt.”

Trainer Ken McPeek, whose Sheikinator and Rankhasprivileges finished seventh and eighth, respectively, in the CashCall, knows a few things about young horses.  The trainer shipped Pure Fun to Betfair Hollywood Park to capture the Grade I Hollywood Starlet in 2012.

“He (Shared Belief) was extremely impressive,” stated McPeek.  My two horses are pretty good and he just showed them his tail.  I liked the way he rated and it didn’t bother him when (Candy Boy) passed him.”

For his part, Hollendorfer knows how many pitfalls there are between now and the first Saturday in May and refuses to get too excited. He doesn’t like phrases such as “Derby trail” and “prep races.”

Hollendorfer is keenly aware that Shared Belief must prove himself on dirt.

“He’s never been on it since I’ve had him,” he said. “I don’t know what he did before I got him.

“It’s a long, hard road ahead. We’ll just do the best we can.”