• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 6 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 6 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 6 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 6 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Risky Rachel Has Coronel Beaming

Risky Rachel, like her trainer’s career winning percentage, was “perfect” the morning after her victory in Saturday’s Broadway, her conditioner, Juan “Manny” Coronel, reported.

In the Broadway, Risky Rachel became the first starter and winner for her 35-year-old trainer, who had previously assisted trainers Frank Martin, Sr., Angel Penna, Jr., and H. James Bond.

“The owner [Sanford Bacon] was just here, and we checked out everything and we’re really, really happy,” said Coronel.

Born in Argentina, Coronel is the son of trainer Manuel Coronel and rode briefly in his home country before immigrating to the United States. Risky Rachel is currently the lone horse in his barn, although the trainer expects to soon receive four or five additional horses.

“When I stopped riding I moved to this country because I wanted to continue learning, and New York is the best of the best,” said Coronel. “I’m so proud to have spent the past seven to eight years with different trainers like Frank Martin, Angel Penna, Jr., and James Bond. I’ve worked for really, really good people.”

Coronel said Risky Rachel’s victory caught the attention of acquaintances in Argentina and the United States.

“I’m so blessed, so blessed,” said Coronel. “Now I feel relieved. Everything was perfect. Yesterday was very exciting. I got phone calls yesterday from everywhere, from my country, Argentina, from friends here in the United States. Today people have been coming to see me [at the barn].”

The Broadway was the second stakes victory for Risky Rachel, who in 2011 won the Friendly Island Iroquois under Bond’s tutelage. With the mare hitting her best stride at the age of 5, Coronel said he and Bacon want to thoroughly explore their options before they map out a plan for the daughter of Limehouse.

“We have a couple of choices, but we’ll see,” said Coronel. “It’s the first day after the race, and she came out of the race well. Over the next couple of days we’ll see what the best choice is for her. She’s a nice, nice New York-bred, so we want what’s best for her. We have to be smart for the next race. We want to win again.”