• Magic Mark upsets the Bertrando Stakes at 11-1 to kickoff the Los Alamitos meet.Posted 1 day ago
  • Salutos Amigos dominant in Monmouth Park's Mr. Prospector.Posted 5 days ago
  • Crucero upsets the San Juan Capistrano at odds of 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • La Verdad skips through the Belmont slop to a victory in the Dancin Renee.Posted 5 days ago
  • Treve too much for Flintshire and the rest in today's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.Posted 6 days ago
  • Golden Lad surges late to score in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Bent on Bourbon has his coming out party in the Iowa Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Departing slips through on the hedge to win the Firecracker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis just holds off Pangburn in the Iowa Oaks.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cosmic Evolution edges away to victory in the Debutante.Posted 6 days ago

Risky Rachel Has Coronel Beaming

Risky Rachel, like her trainer’s career winning percentage, was “perfect” the morning after her victory in Saturday’s Broadway, her conditioner, Juan “Manny” Coronel, reported.

In the Broadway, Risky Rachel became the first starter and winner for her 35-year-old trainer, who had previously assisted trainers Frank Martin, Sr., Angel Penna, Jr., and H. James Bond.

“The owner [Sanford Bacon] was just here, and we checked out everything and we’re really, really happy,” said Coronel.

Born in Argentina, Coronel is the son of trainer Manuel Coronel and rode briefly in his home country before immigrating to the United States. Risky Rachel is currently the lone horse in his barn, although the trainer expects to soon receive four or five additional horses.

“When I stopped riding I moved to this country because I wanted to continue learning, and New York is the best of the best,” said Coronel. “I’m so proud to have spent the past seven to eight years with different trainers like Frank Martin, Angel Penna, Jr., and James Bond. I’ve worked for really, really good people.”

Coronel said Risky Rachel’s victory caught the attention of acquaintances in Argentina and the United States.

“I’m so blessed, so blessed,” said Coronel. “Now I feel relieved. Everything was perfect. Yesterday was very exciting. I got phone calls yesterday from everywhere, from my country, Argentina, from friends here in the United States. Today people have been coming to see me [at the barn].”

The Broadway was the second stakes victory for Risky Rachel, who in 2011 won the Friendly Island Iroquois under Bond’s tutelage. With the mare hitting her best stride at the age of 5, Coronel said he and Bacon want to thoroughly explore their options before they map out a plan for the daughter of Limehouse.

“We have a couple of choices, but we’ll see,” said Coronel. “It’s the first day after the race, and she came out of the race well. Over the next couple of days we’ll see what the best choice is for her. She’s a nice, nice New York-bred, so we want what’s best for her. We have to be smart for the next race. We want to win again.”