• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Risky Rachel Has Coronel Beaming

Risky Rachel, like her trainer’s career winning percentage, was “perfect” the morning after her victory in Saturday’s Broadway, her conditioner, Juan “Manny” Coronel, reported.

In the Broadway, Risky Rachel became the first starter and winner for her 35-year-old trainer, who had previously assisted trainers Frank Martin, Sr., Angel Penna, Jr., and H. James Bond.

“The owner [Sanford Bacon] was just here, and we checked out everything and we’re really, really happy,” said Coronel.

Born in Argentina, Coronel is the son of trainer Manuel Coronel and rode briefly in his home country before immigrating to the United States. Risky Rachel is currently the lone horse in his barn, although the trainer expects to soon receive four or five additional horses.

“When I stopped riding I moved to this country because I wanted to continue learning, and New York is the best of the best,” said Coronel. “I’m so proud to have spent the past seven to eight years with different trainers like Frank Martin, Angel Penna, Jr., and James Bond. I’ve worked for really, really good people.”

Coronel said Risky Rachel’s victory caught the attention of acquaintances in Argentina and the United States.

“I’m so blessed, so blessed,” said Coronel. “Now I feel relieved. Everything was perfect. Yesterday was very exciting. I got phone calls yesterday from everywhere, from my country, Argentina, from friends here in the United States. Today people have been coming to see me [at the barn].”

The Broadway was the second stakes victory for Risky Rachel, who in 2011 won the Friendly Island Iroquois under Bond’s tutelage. With the mare hitting her best stride at the age of 5, Coronel said he and Bacon want to thoroughly explore their options before they map out a plan for the daughter of Limehouse.

“We have a couple of choices, but we’ll see,” said Coronel. “It’s the first day after the race, and she came out of the race well. Over the next couple of days we’ll see what the best choice is for her. She’s a nice, nice New York-bred, so we want what’s best for her. We have to be smart for the next race. We want to win again.”