• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 4 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Retirement Ceremony Planned for I'll Have Another

Before today’s 144th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes, the 31st horse to win the Kentucky Derby and Preakness will have a ceremonial retirement in the Belmont Park winner’s circle.

On Friday, owner J. Paul Reddam announced that I’ll Have Another would be retired with a tendon injury one day before he would have attempted to become racing’s 12th Triple Crown winner.

On Saturday, I’ll Have Another’s grooms will lead him to the paddock shortly after the conclusion of the Woodford Reserve Manhattan (5:37 p.m. post), and then walk him to the winner’s circle where trainer Doug O’Neill will remove his saddle. The ceremony will occur at approximately 5:53 p.m. and will be shown live on NBC.

“We felt that this would be a fitting ceremonial retirement for an incredible racehorse,” said O’Neill. “There are many fans who traveled from near and far to see I’ll Have Another today, and we wanted to give them a chance to help us send him off to retirement.”

The chestnut son of Flower Alley retired with $2,693,600 in earnings, winning all four of his starts as a 3-year-old – the Robert B. Lewis (G2), the Santa Anita Derby (G1), Kentucky Derby (G1), and the Preakness (G1).

He will not lead the post parade with Mario Gutierrez, as had been previously planned.

Older Comments about Retirement Ceremony Planned for I'll Have Another...

Must be a story there, tv.
most professional bet I ever made was on a horse who's connections sold out racing in the state of Washington. Emotionless I even cussed him all the way down the lane and cashed
i think he does, but keeps it private. I can see that tv is deep from that comment I liked.
Oh, Mr. Vic, don't you ever get emotional over a horse?
I think there was asrtong shot that hte Derby/Preakness winner would hve NOT made it if he was sound
Heartbreadk is when you lose a spuse to cancer, not when a horse retires
ok everybody knows that if Ill have another was to race bellmont today we would have had a new tripple crown horse how heart breaking this is for the ill have another team and all of his fans I am one of his biggest fans and very heart struke just dont know how to explane how sick i am all my prayers go out to you my little horse there is not another like you hope you enjoy retirement and allso bring in some colts to this raceing world and just pos they will be a tripple crown just like there daddy in my eyes anyway love all you guys on the ill have anther team so long for now hope to see you guys real soon