• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 14 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Repole Runs Our Entourage in Illinois Derby

This time a year ago, you could barely go a day without reading about Mike Repole, Thoroughbred racing’s most entertaining and outspoken owner. Repole had not one, but two legitimate Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contenders, including the favorite—undefeated champion Uncle Mo.

The Derby didn’t exactly turn out as Repole had hoped, as Uncle Mo became ill and never made the race, and his other contender, Stay Thirsty, finished 12th. If you haven’t heard Repole’s name much recently it’s not because he hasn’t been active—the New Yorker was a major player at both the Keeneland September yearling sale and the recent Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's select sale of 2-year-olds in training, and his smart claim Calibrachoa has won a couple of graded races at Aqueduct this winter. But being that it is Triple Crown season and that’s where most people are focused, Repole is no longer in the spotlight.

“Last year was a special year. I wasn’t naïve about it even as I was going through it,” Repole said. “I knew it was a once in a lifetime type of year to have two of the top 20 3-year-old colts in the country. I was thankful and appreciative then, and knew I may never ever get back to the Derby again. Looking back on it, even though I had a lot of fun going through the experience, it was pretty stressful.