• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 20 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Renee's Titan Slays Beholder in Santa Ynez

Renee's Titan upsets Beholder in the 2013 Santa Ynez Stakes.
Photo: Benoit Photo
The coronation was consummated Saturday evening in South Florida. The stage was thus set for newly anointed 2012 Eclipse Champion Filly Beholder’s 3-year-old debut in Monday’s Grade II, $150,000 Santa Ynez Stakes at 6 ½ furlongs—but despite sunny skies and a game-time temperature of 81 degrees, upstart Renee’s Titan and Tyler Baze rained on the champ’s parade, executing a come-from-behind, three quarter length victory at 20-1, while getting the distance in 1:16.14.

“She just got a little tired, I’d say,” said trainer Richard Mandella regarding Beholder’s performance. “She had a nice trip…I think she just got a little tired.”

Despite the setback, Mandella indicated Beholder would likely be pointed to the Grade I Las Virgenes Stakes at one mile on March 2.

Last at the half mile pole and well off early fractions of 21.14 and 43.67, Renee’s Titan was six lengths behind a six furlong clocking of 1:09.22, but rallied furiously along the rail to get up under Baze, despite the fact he lost his whip in upper stretch.

Renee’s Titan, the fourth choice in the seven-horse field, paid $43.80, $7.80 and $4.20.

“I have a lot of confidence in this filly,” said Baze. “I’ve been working her from the gate in the mornings for Doug (winning trainer, O’Neill) so I knew she would break well…I just sat on her and was as patient as I could be. I didn’t care how far back we were but by the three sixteenths pole, I knew it was time to get going.

“I skimmed the rail there, lost my stick, but she was running so I just did whatever I could to keep her going.”

Owned by Zillah Reddam, Renee’s Titan was first-out maiden $50,000 claiming winner on June 21, but had gone winless in six subsequent starts, her most recent being a well beaten sixth place run in the Grade I Hollywood Starlet going 1 1/16 miles on Dec. 8.

“When she was behind a lot of horses, I was hoping to finish at least third,” said O’Neill’s assistant, Leandro Mora. “When she started running like that, I knew we had a huge chance.”

A Kentucky-bred filly by Bernstein, Renee’s Titan picked up $90,000 for the win an increased her earnings to $165,400 from an overall mark of 7-2-2-0.

Beholder, who broke cleanly from post position seven with Garrett Gomez, was attentive to the pace and ran gamely to the wire, finished a nose in front of 8-1 shot Dawn’s Charm and Edwin Maldonado.

“I had expectations of a win, but she’s coming off her first race since the Breeders’ Cup, going two turns,” said Gomez. “She cruised up there like she was going to be fine and I got the wrong answer, not the one I was looking for. She’s a gamer, she’ll bounce back and we’ll see what Richard does with her next.”

Beholder paid $2.20 and $2.10. Dawn’s Charm returned $3.20 to show.

Older Comments about Renee's Titan Slays Beholder in Santa Ynez...

They just keep getting better and better as they get older, most likelly we are seeing a changing of the guard for this division
What an awesome race! With my two favorite american fillies running, I couldn't lose. Example of why this is the best sport on earth.
The Bernstein's are tearing it up! Everytime I turn around another one is running like the wind.