• Abel Tasman (12-1) gets up in time to beat American Gal in the Grade 1 Starlet.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Mastery (1-5) shrugs off his competition in the Grade 1 Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Party Boat (5-2) gets her head down to win the Wait a While.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Fact Finding (8-5) draws clear of the Smooth Air field and keeps a perfect record.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Lovable Lady (12-1) blasts away in the Willa On the Move Stakes.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Paulassilverlining (1-9) makes easy work of the Garland of Roses field.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Sonic Mule (3-1) keeps the wins for Todd Pletcher rolling in the Buffalo Man.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Tapwrit (3-2) holds off stablemate Master Plan to win the Pulpit.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Lirica (5-2) finds a clear path to take the Hut Hut Stakes.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Bode's Dream (5-2) returns victorious in the House Party to remain undefeated.Posted 19 hours ago

Redwood Kitten Shows the Way in James Murphy

Redwood Kitten wins 2013 James Murphy.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Kenneth L. & Sarah Ramsey’s Redwood Kitten glided to the front from his outside post and never looked back on his way to victory in the $100,000 James W. Murphy Stakes for 3-year-olds at Pimlico Race Course.

Joel Rosario handled the Ramsey home-bred for trainer Wesley Ward. At the finish, Redwood Kitten finished a length ahead of Shining Copper, who outfinished 2-1 post time favorite Notacatbutallama for second. Redwood Kitten, who completed the one mile distance over the firm turf in 1:35.17, paid $6.80 to win.

The Murphy marked the first stakes victory for Redwood Kitten, who had posted third-place finishes in both the Kitten’s Joy at Gulfstream and the Transylvania Stakes (G3) at Keeneland.

JAMES W. MURPHY STAKES

Wesley Ward (trainer, Redwood Kitten, winner) – “I liked how the race unfolded. He got away with an easy first quarter and then it was just a sprint home. This horse is a lot better with a little bit more spacing between his races. That’s why we didn’t run two weeks ago at Churchill in the American Turf. He has really blossomed in the last couple weeks. I’ll talk it over with the owners about his next race. I know they’re big on running at Churchill Downs so maybe there’ll be something Stephen Foster weekend.

Joel Rosario (jockey, Redwood Kitten, winner) – “I thought I would be laying second, but he broke sharp, so I let him go. I wanted to save something for the finish. Every time the other horse came to me, he went on and was all there to the end.”

Javier Castellano (jockey, Shining Copper, 2nd) – “I had a perfect trip. In the first turn, I covered up and he handled it so well. Turning for home, I split horses and I went after the winner. Unfortunately, we were second-best. I'm very satisfied the way he did it. The trainer did a great job with the horse. He told me what to do, and it was exactly what I did.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Notacatbutallama, 3rd) -- "I was comfortable where I was. I think it was a little too much to make up and, you know, he probably needed the race, too. He hadn't run in a couple months. He ran really well."