• Hoppertunity nips Imperative by a San Antonio head-bob.Posted 3 hours ago
  • In her seasonal debut, Songbird is a dominant winner of the Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Lukes Alley kicks it in late to win the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Mor Spirit cruises late to win the Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Aussie-bred Power Alert gets there first in the GP Turf Sprint.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Tommy Macho runs away with the Fred Hooper at Gulfsrtream Park.Posted 9 hours ago
  • No catching Tammy the Torpedo in the turfy Suwannee River.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Lady Shipman (1-5) is an easy winner in the Lady's Turf Sprint at Gulfstream.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Cadet Roni relishes the slop in the Wishing Well at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Flora Dora gets to the wire first in the Big A's Busanda.Posted 6 days ago

Redding Colliery Turns Back I Want Revenge

Tested at top of the stretch by 4-5 favorite I Want Revenge, the front-running Redding Colliery battled back along the inside and went on to a two-length victory Saturday afternoon in the $75,000 Evening Attire at Aqueduct Racetrack.

Making only his second start in 14 months, the 6-year-old son of Mineshaft went straight to the lead under jockey Alan Garcia and set comfortable fractions of 23.87, 47.81 and 1:11.63 seconds with the favorite in close pursuit. Rounding the turn, I Want Revenge edged up alongside the pacesetter, but began drifting out in the stretch and was unable to hold off the resurgent gray, who covered the 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.05.

“When he saw the others coming up he gave me a little push and kicked on and finished well,” said Garcia of Redding Colliery, who had come off a one-year layoff to finish sixth in the Swatara at Parx Racing on November 23. “I knew my horse would give me a good finish, and I didn’t know how fit the favorite [I Want Revenge] was.”

I Want Revenge, who remains winless in six starts since taking the Big A’s Grade 1 Wood Memorial in 2009, held on for second, 1 ½ lengths in front of Jimanator. Completing the order of finish were 2010 Evening Attire winner Heart Butte and Thunder Ball.

Owned by Mrs. Fitri Hay, Redding Colliery was returning to the winner’s circle for the first time since taking the Grade 2 Hawthorne Gold Cup on October 2, 2010. Subsequently promoted to second via a disqualification in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, he was off for most of 2011 with foot issues before his return at Parx.

“The Hay family has been so patient with this horse,” said Artie Magnuson, assistant to winning trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. “They get all the credit for just letting us take our time. I’m so happy for them. Kiaran might want to take him to Florida; it’s whatever Kiaran and the Hay family decides. It’s good to see him back on track.”

The 2-1 second choice, Redding Colliery returned $6.90 for a $2 win bet and earned $45,000. Overall, he is 7-3-3 from 20 starts, including a victory in the Grade 3 Lone Star Park Handicap in 2010, and has bankrolled $759,385.