• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 3 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 4 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 7 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 9 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 10 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 10 days ago

Redding Colliery Turns Back I Want Revenge

Tested at top of the stretch by 4-5 favorite I Want Revenge, the front-running Redding Colliery battled back along the inside and went on to a two-length victory Saturday afternoon in the $75,000 Evening Attire at Aqueduct Racetrack.

Making only his second start in 14 months, the 6-year-old son of Mineshaft went straight to the lead under jockey Alan Garcia and set comfortable fractions of 23.87, 47.81 and 1:11.63 seconds with the favorite in close pursuit. Rounding the turn, I Want Revenge edged up alongside the pacesetter, but began drifting out in the stretch and was unable to hold off the resurgent gray, who covered the 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.05.

“When he saw the others coming up he gave me a little push and kicked on and finished well,” said Garcia of Redding Colliery, who had come off a one-year layoff to finish sixth in the Swatara at Parx Racing on November 23. “I knew my horse would give me a good finish, and I didn’t know how fit the favorite [I Want Revenge] was.”

I Want Revenge, who remains winless in six starts since taking the Big A’s Grade 1 Wood Memorial in 2009, held on for second, 1 ½ lengths in front of Jimanator. Completing the order of finish were 2010 Evening Attire winner Heart Butte and Thunder Ball.

Owned by Mrs. Fitri Hay, Redding Colliery was returning to the winner’s circle for the first time since taking the Grade 2 Hawthorne Gold Cup on October 2, 2010. Subsequently promoted to second via a disqualification in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, he was off for most of 2011 with foot issues before his return at Parx.

“The Hay family has been so patient with this horse,” said Artie Magnuson, assistant to winning trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. “They get all the credit for just letting us take our time. I’m so happy for them. Kiaran might want to take him to Florida; it’s whatever Kiaran and the Hay family decides. It’s good to see him back on track.”

The 2-1 second choice, Redding Colliery returned $6.90 for a $2 win bet and earned $45,000. Overall, he is 7-3-3 from 20 starts, including a victory in the Grade 3 Lone Star Park Handicap in 2010, and has bankrolled $759,385.