• Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 6 hours ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Frosted is pointing to the Breeders' Cup Classic, per his connections.Posted 3 days ago
  • Erupt (IRE) at 12-1 closes to win the $1,000,000 Pattison Canadian International (G1)Posted 6 days ago
  • Al's Gal (6-1) wins the head bob and the E. P. Taylor (G1) at WoodbinePosted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Redding Colliery Turns Back I Want Revenge

Tested at top of the stretch by 4-5 favorite I Want Revenge, the front-running Redding Colliery battled back along the inside and went on to a two-length victory Saturday afternoon in the $75,000 Evening Attire at Aqueduct Racetrack.

Making only his second start in 14 months, the 6-year-old son of Mineshaft went straight to the lead under jockey Alan Garcia and set comfortable fractions of 23.87, 47.81 and 1:11.63 seconds with the favorite in close pursuit. Rounding the turn, I Want Revenge edged up alongside the pacesetter, but began drifting out in the stretch and was unable to hold off the resurgent gray, who covered the 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.05.

“When he saw the others coming up he gave me a little push and kicked on and finished well,” said Garcia of Redding Colliery, who had come off a one-year layoff to finish sixth in the Swatara at Parx Racing on November 23. “I knew my horse would give me a good finish, and I didn’t know how fit the favorite [I Want Revenge] was.”

I Want Revenge, who remains winless in six starts since taking the Big A’s Grade 1 Wood Memorial in 2009, held on for second, 1 ½ lengths in front of Jimanator. Completing the order of finish were 2010 Evening Attire winner Heart Butte and Thunder Ball.

Owned by Mrs. Fitri Hay, Redding Colliery was returning to the winner’s circle for the first time since taking the Grade 2 Hawthorne Gold Cup on October 2, 2010. Subsequently promoted to second via a disqualification in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, he was off for most of 2011 with foot issues before his return at Parx.

“The Hay family has been so patient with this horse,” said Artie Magnuson, assistant to winning trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. “They get all the credit for just letting us take our time. I’m so happy for them. Kiaran might want to take him to Florida; it’s whatever Kiaran and the Hay family decides. It’s good to see him back on track.”

The 2-1 second choice, Redding Colliery returned $6.90 for a $2 win bet and earned $45,000. Overall, he is 7-3-3 from 20 starts, including a victory in the Grade 3 Lone Star Park Handicap in 2010, and has bankrolled $759,385.