• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 1 day ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 2 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 8 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 9 days ago

Racing Luck on Malibu Pier's Side in Beverly Hills (Video)

When 4-to-5 favorite Cozi Rosie clipped heels and nearly went down just a few strides after the gates opened for the $100,000 Beverly Hills Handicap (Grade III), the mile and a quarter turf journey was all but assured to end with 7-to-5 second choice Malibu Pier capturing the third graded stakes from her last four starts.

“She’s back,” proclaimed jockey Brice Blanc referring to Malibu Pier's disappointing fifth place effort last time in the Gamely (Grade I). “I knew I could probably get Joe (Talamo) so I was more worried about Cozi Rosie getting the jump on me. At the quarter pole I tried to make the same move I did with her in the Santa Barbara and she just pulled away.”

Pace-setter Restless Soul with Talamo aboard was adding blinkers today and allowed to get a clear lead while setting soft fractions, however faded to third as the 4-to-1 third choice.

“The horse on the lead was going so slow. You had me nervous,” trainer Carla Gaines told Blanc after the race.

After the troubled start, Cozi Rosie did well to run on for second with Joel Rosario aboard for the first time. Mike Smith, who finished a distant last in the short field of four with 10-to-1 long shot Timezone, had ridden the four-year-old daughter of Pleasantly Perfect in her first 11 career starts.

“I feel very badly about what happened to Cozi Rosie, but you take your luck,” said Gaines, whose four-year-old daughter of Malibu Moon pushed her earnings over $400,000.

Next up for Malibu Pier is either the $750,000 Beverly D (Grade I) at Arlington Park on August 13 or the $250,000 John C. Mabee (Grade II) a day later at Del Mar.

Make sure to follow me on Twitter @mdoche for much more and visit www.pick4blog.com for daily selections and analysis!

To view my horse racing channel on YouTube click here!

Older Comments about Racing Luck on Malibu Pier's Side in Beverly Hills (Video)...

Nice race...so sorry for Cozi Rosie, I love her too!