• Miss Ella (5-2) wins the Caress Stakes at Saratoga for the second straight year.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Madam Dancealot (21-1) rolls from last to win the San Clemente going away.Posted 1 day ago
  • Abel Tasman (4-5) edges Elate in the Coaching Club American Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Accelerate (7-1) wins in a romp as Arrogate finishes way back in the San Diego Handicap. Posted 1 day ago
  • Hunt (3-1) waits and then blows by in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lady Eli (9-10), giving eight pounds, edges Quidura on the wire of the Grade 1 Diana.Posted 2 days ago
  • Firenze Fire (12-1) holds off Free Drop Billy in the Sanford Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (7-10) scores a hard-earned win in the New York Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • Proctor's Ledge (6-1), with first-time Lasix, rolls on the turf in the Lake George.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream It Is (4-1) romps in the Grade 3 Schuylerville at Saratoga.Posted 3 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Racing Luck on Malibu Pier's Side in Beverly Hills (Video)

When 4-to-5 favorite Cozi Rosie clipped heels and nearly went down just a few strides after the gates opened for the $100,000 Beverly Hills Handicap (Grade III), the mile and a quarter turf journey was all but assured to end with 7-to-5 second choice Malibu Pier capturing the third graded stakes from her last four starts.

“She’s back,” proclaimed jockey Brice Blanc referring to Malibu Pier's disappointing fifth place effort last time in the Gamely (Grade I). “I knew I could probably get Joe (Talamo) so I was more worried about Cozi Rosie getting the jump on me. At the quarter pole I tried to make the same move I did with her in the Santa Barbara and she just pulled away.”

Pace-setter Restless Soul with Talamo aboard was adding blinkers today and allowed to get a clear lead while setting soft fractions, however faded to third as the 4-to-1 third choice.

“The horse on the lead was going so slow. You had me nervous,” trainer Carla Gaines told Blanc after the race.

After the troubled start, Cozi Rosie did well to run on for second with Joel Rosario aboard for the first time. Mike Smith, who finished a distant last in the short field of four with 10-to-1 long shot Timezone, had ridden the four-year-old daughter of Pleasantly Perfect in her first 11 career starts.

“I feel very badly about what happened to Cozi Rosie, but you take your luck,” said Gaines, whose four-year-old daughter of Malibu Moon pushed her earnings over $400,000.

Next up for Malibu Pier is either the $750,000 Beverly D (Grade I) at Arlington Park on August 13 or the $250,000 John C. Mabee (Grade II) a day later at Del Mar.

Make sure to follow me on Twitter @mdoche for much more and visit www.pick4blog.com for daily selections and analysis!

To view my horse racing channel on YouTube click here!

Older Comments about Racing Luck on Malibu Pier's Side in Beverly Hills (Video)...

Nice race...so sorry for Cozi Rosie, I love her too!