• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Puype Ties BHP Record With Six Consecutive Wins

Trainer Mike Puype tied a Betfair Hollywood Park record when he earned his sixth consecutive victory in Saturday’s ninth race.

The win by 2-1 favorite Hustlin Nu in the $20,000 maiden claimer continued a streak that began Thursday for Puype, 46. The Arizona native matched the record set by Allen Drumheller, Sr. (July 4-5, 1955).

Change of Plan ($5) began the trainer’s roll by capturing Thursday’s second. Puype won twice Friday, taking back-to-back races with Smart N Dreamy ($6.20) in the fourth and Bella Viaggia ($3.80) in the fifth and tripled Saturday with Muchos Besos’ $25 upset in the first and Insideondoutside ($6) in the fifth preceding Hustlin Nu’s heroics.

“It doesn’t get any better than that,’’ he said. “Six wins in a row and tying a 58-year-old record. I knew I had a good chance (in the ninth) because the owners let me enter this horse (in the right spot) today.

“This is large. It’s going to help my business. I’ve already got 13 calls on my phone. I thought I would have a good week, but not as well as it’s turned out. I’ve had great trips and great rides.’’

Puype can break the record Sunday if Moonlight Splitter, 8-1 on the morning line of Betfair Hollywood Park’s Russ Hudak, wins the sixth race.

Owned in part by Jim Rome’s Jungle Racing LLC, the 3-year-old daughter of Pomeroy will make her initial start in a $52,000 maiden affair at six furlongs on turf.

Puype also entered Goodtobewild, a 4-year-old maiden filly who has been second in all three of her starts, in Sunday’s ninth.

“They’re both live,’’ he said. “It’s not easy to win a maiden special weight around here, but Moonlight Splitter is very fast. I don’t know how far she’ll go, but she’s fast. Goodtobewild is the (7-2 morning line) favorite and has a real good chance.’’

The recent surge has propelled Puype into second place in the trainer’s race. Through 36 days of the Spring/Summer meet, Puype has 17 victories, six fewer than leader John Sadler, who won twice Saturday.