• Hoppertunity nips Imperative by a San Antonio head-bob.Posted 4 hours ago
  • In her seasonal debut, Songbird is a dominant winner of the Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Lukes Alley kicks it in late to win the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Mor Spirit cruises late to win the Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Aussie-bred Power Alert gets there first in the GP Turf Sprint.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Tommy Macho runs away with the Fred Hooper at Gulfsrtream Park.Posted 9 hours ago
  • No catching Tammy the Torpedo in the turfy Suwannee River.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Lady Shipman (1-5) is an easy winner in the Lady's Turf Sprint at Gulfstream.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Cadet Roni relishes the slop in the Wishing Well at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Flora Dora gets to the wire first in the Big A's Busanda.Posted 6 days ago

Puype Ties BHP Record With Six Consecutive Wins

Trainer Mike Puype tied a Betfair Hollywood Park record when he earned his sixth consecutive victory in Saturday’s ninth race.

The win by 2-1 favorite Hustlin Nu in the $20,000 maiden claimer continued a streak that began Thursday for Puype, 46. The Arizona native matched the record set by Allen Drumheller, Sr. (July 4-5, 1955).

Change of Plan ($5) began the trainer’s roll by capturing Thursday’s second. Puype won twice Friday, taking back-to-back races with Smart N Dreamy ($6.20) in the fourth and Bella Viaggia ($3.80) in the fifth and tripled Saturday with Muchos Besos’ $25 upset in the first and Insideondoutside ($6) in the fifth preceding Hustlin Nu’s heroics.

“It doesn’t get any better than that,’’ he said. “Six wins in a row and tying a 58-year-old record. I knew I had a good chance (in the ninth) because the owners let me enter this horse (in the right spot) today.

“This is large. It’s going to help my business. I’ve already got 13 calls on my phone. I thought I would have a good week, but not as well as it’s turned out. I’ve had great trips and great rides.’’

Puype can break the record Sunday if Moonlight Splitter, 8-1 on the morning line of Betfair Hollywood Park’s Russ Hudak, wins the sixth race.

Owned in part by Jim Rome’s Jungle Racing LLC, the 3-year-old daughter of Pomeroy will make her initial start in a $52,000 maiden affair at six furlongs on turf.

Puype also entered Goodtobewild, a 4-year-old maiden filly who has been second in all three of her starts, in Sunday’s ninth.

“They’re both live,’’ he said. “It’s not easy to win a maiden special weight around here, but Moonlight Splitter is very fast. I don’t know how far she’ll go, but she’s fast. Goodtobewild is the (7-2 morning line) favorite and has a real good chance.’’

The recent surge has propelled Puype into second place in the trainer’s race. Through 36 days of the Spring/Summer meet, Puype has 17 victories, six fewer than leader John Sadler, who won twice Saturday.