• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 1 day ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 1 day ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 2 days ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 4 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 5 days ago

Puype Misses Turbulent Descent

Turbulent Descent

Mike Puype has been around long enough to understand the business side of horse racing.

That knowledge, however, doesn’t take away the sting from the departure of Turbulent Descent, who was sold for an undisclosed sum last Saturday. The trainer took time Tuesday to reflect on her career and how her absence will affect him.

“It’s a hard thing to have happen,” said Puype. “She’s been nothing but good for everyone involved with her from the moment she first came to my barn.”

Turbulent Descent, a 4-year-old daughter of Congrats and Roger’s Sue, was bred in Florida and purchased for $160,000 at the Ocala Breeders Sale in April, 2010. She had an 11 7-2-0 record for Puype, with earnings of $901,640. Three of her victories were Grade I’s and she’s been favored in all of her races.

The bay is 4-for-4 at Betfair Hollywood Park, including a victory in the Grade I Hollywood Starlet in 2010. She won her final start for Puype in the Desert Stormer Handicap June 17th. The filly is scheduled to be shipped to New York shortly, where she will be trained by Todd Pletcher.

“I knew it was coming to an end anyway,” Puype continued. “She was going to be sold after a few more races but the owners received an offer they couldn’t refuse and that’s what needed to be done. It came out of the blue. I didn’t know anything about it until Friday. They closed the deal quickly and that was it.”

It took the trainer only a millisecond to identify the Grade I Test in 2011 as her greatest victory.

“It’s not even close,’’ he said. “She was devastating in that race at Saratoga. She won with speed to spare. That was absolutely, positively her best race, without a doubt. She won some other races in hand and was 5-for-5 on synthetic tracks. Basically, I can’t say enough about her. I love her and it’s hard to see her go but, again, it’s a business.”

Puype’s compensation from the sale could be considerable, but the subject comes across as a secondary consideration.

“That’s all being worked out,” explained Puype. “I’m sure I’m not going to come up short. It’s just hard to lose her.”