• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 2 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 2 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 2 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 2 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 2 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 2 days ago

Position Limit Sharp in Adirondack

Position Limit, the 3-2 favorite among ten 2-year-old fillies, took the lead from Alienation in upper stretch and drew clear for a five-length victory Sunday afternoon in the Grade 2, $150,000 Adirondack at Saratoga Race Course.

Trained by Todd Pletcher for Starlight Partners, the Bellamy Road filly broke well and settled close to the pace as Alienation and Miss Sarah Brown zipped through fractions of 21.72 and 45.07. Moving up on the turn as Miss Sarah Brown began to fade, Position Limit collared Alienation at the top of the lane and after a brief tussle, edged clear for her second victory in as many starts.

“It set up perfect for her,” said winning jockey John Velazquez. “I was slightly nervous, though when I came up behind [Alienation] because it looked like she was going pretty easily. But as soon as I caught up with her, I knew I had her.”

Position Limit’s winning time was 1:17.30 for 6 ½ furlongs.

“I thought it went very well,” said Pletcher, who said the Grade 1 Frizette at Belmont Park on October 9 was a likely target. “She was able to secure a good position and delivered a kick when needed. It was what we had hoped for.”

Position Limit, a 6 ¾-length winner in her debut at Belmont Park on July 14, a race that earned her a spot on NYRA’s “New York Watch” list, returned $5.10 to her backers in the crowd of 20,980. She earned $90,000 for the Adirondack win, lifting her bankroll to $120,000.

Alienation, making her first start on dirt after breaking her maiden on turf, had another five lengths on third-place finisher Coax Liberty.

“She’s still learning how to run, but I think she handled the dirt all right,” said Alienation’s Hall of Fame trainer, Bob Baffert. “The winner is a good filly. We want to win, but I’m happy with her effort. She was the second choice and she came in second.”

Completing the order of finish were Hula, Nina Fever, Silvislip, Because I Like It, Tristanme, Golden Phoenix, and Miss Sarah Brown.