• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Poker Player Looks Good to Hill

keeneland start

When Gary and Mary West’s Poker Player finished fourth in his racing debut Aug. 22 at Arlington Park, jockey Channing Hill did not have much time to form an opinion of the Harlan’s Holiday colt.

“I was in the same race,” Hill said. “Florent (Geroux) rode him and said he was lugging in a bit and a little green, so my first impression was not too favorable.”

Fast forward three weeks, and in one race initial impressions changed.

“When I rode him at Kentucky Downs, I let him fall away from the gate and let him settle,” Hill said. “I thought I had left him too much to do. But when we kicked for home, he made up a lot of ground and it was unbelievable that he did it as easy as he did even though he was still a little green.”

Poker Player used a similar, late-running style to win the Bourbon (G3) by a length on Oct. 6 to merit a spot in the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (G1) on Nov. 1 at Santa Anita.

“When he won here, he was much more professional, especially going back to a two-turn race as compared with the course at Kentucky Downs,” Hill said.

Trainer Wayne Catalano said Poker Player is scheduled to breeze on the turf Thursday morning and would leave for California on Sunday.

Hill will follow a few days after and hopes to ride a few races at Santa Anita before the Juvenile Turf that will go as the second of five Breeders’ Cup races on Nov. 1.

“This is what you come in the game for, to go to events like the Breeders’ Cup,” Hill said. “It is nice to have one that is good enough to go. It is an exciting time and one to relish.”

The post position draw for all 14 Breeders’ Cup races will be Monday.

“I hope to get a good trip,” said Hill, who never has ridden in the Breeders’ Cup. “In a couple of weeks, I could be real famous.”