• If you bet A Lot in the Paradise Creek, then the winning margin was "a lot" more than the wagering return!Posted 11 hours ago
  • The Nassau goes to Sky Treasure!Posted 11 hours ago
  • Sunday Rules runs them off their feet in the Spring Fever to remain undefeated!Posted 11 hours ago
  • Xtra Luck gets his first stakes win in the Louisville Handicap!Posted 11 hours ago
  • Joe Bravo earned win #5,000 with a victory aboard Boss Man today at Monmouth Park.Posted 13 hours ago
  • There's no catching Black Hornet in the Vigil Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 6 days ago
  • American Pharoah romps home in the Preakness!Posted 7 days ago
  • Ironicus explodes to win the Dixie going away.Posted 7 days ago
  • Ageless best in The Very One again, this time with a course record.Posted 7 days ago
  • Holy Boss much the best in the six furlong Chick Lang.Posted 7 days ago

Point of Entry Ready for Man o’War

mcgaughey main
Photo: NYRA

Phipps Stable’s Point of Entry tuned up for next Saturday’s Grade 1 Man o’War with a bullet half-mile breeze (48.93) over Belmont Park’s inner turf course Sunday morning. The $600,000 Man o’War will be the 4-year-old’s first start since taking the Grade 2 Elkhorn at Keeneland on April 27.

“Being a Dynaformer, it took him awhile to come around,” said the colt’s Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey. “He won an allowance race down there [at Gulfstream Park] in December, which was a good race When he came back [in an optional claimer on February 26], Johnny [Velazquez] said they were all going a little bit earlier and he waited and got himself in trouble and finished fourth. His two races at Keeneland were good races, and I just thought after I ran him back in 13 days [between an allowance victory on April 12 and the Elkhorn on April 27] that I’d give him a bit of a blow here and hopefully have a fresh horse for the rest of the year. I think he’s a true mile and three-eighths to a mile and a half kind of horse.”

McGaughey also reported that Donn Handicap winner Hymn Book, second in yesterday’s Suburban after stumbling badly at the start, seemed to come back well and likely would be pointed for the Grade 1 Whitney Invitational Handicap at Saratoga Race Course on August 4.

“I thought he ran a winning race yesterday and if he comes out of it fine, I’m going to try to run him in the Whitney,” McGaughey said. “He kind of stumbled, and [Endorsement] sort of came out or in, I’m not sure which one it was. By the time Garcia got [Hymn Book] back together, he was out the back door somewhere. To make that kind of a long run at a horse who had kind of a perfect trip, you have to come around them all and it’s difficult to catch up.”

Overall though, McGaughey said he was pleased with Hymn Book’s effort behind Mucho Macho Man.

“I thought he ran awfully good, obviously you’d like to know if he’d been in the right position, but we weren’t and the winner was,” McGaughey said. “It’s disappointing to lose, but you can’t be disappointed in the effort he put in. I think the winner is a nice horse. [Trainer Kathy Ritvo] has done a great job with him and I’m glad for her.