• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Pianist Takes Control in Gallorette

Pianist wins 2013 Gallorette.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Hidden Brook & Dan Zucker’s Pianist took control soon after the start and played “catch me if you can” the rest of the way, as the Chad Brown-trained filly went the distance in the $150,000 Gallorette Handicap (G3) at Pimlico Race Course.

Ridden by Mike Smith, the daughter of More Than Ready pulled away to a 2 ¾- length triumph over Hard Not to Like. Appealing Cat finished third. The Brown-trained Samitar finished fourth as the even-money favorite.

Pianist, who paid $15.40 to win, ran the 1 1/16 miles over firm turf in 1:40.60 while beating seven other fillies and mares.

Pianist had previously won the Given Stakes on the turf at Belmont Park last year.

GALLORETTE HANDICAP QUOTES

Chad Brown (trainer, Pianist, winner) – “We had two horses in the race and the plan was for Mike to go to the lead. I thought the fractions were a little strong but I just left it to the riders. I said, ‘You just judge the pace.’ I didn’t give them any figures. I just left it to them. She looked great, although it looked like Samitar wasn’t holding the track on the backside. Both horses were training fine coming into the race, so they both deserved a shot.”

Mike Smith (jockey, Pianist, winner) – “I planned to put her on the lead unless something happened at the break like yesterday with Emollient (who stumbled out of the gate) in the Black-Eyed Susan. She jumped away from the gate very well. Chad told me before the race that we could win this if we did something a little unusual. I guess a 46-second half was a little unusual. This is the first time I’ve ridden for Chad, and I plan to ride another five years, so I hope to do this again sometime.”

Michael Matz (trainer, Hard Not to Like, 2nd) – “I was quite proud of her. She stumbled pretty bad. We told Johnny to get close to the pace, but the other horse got away from her a little bit.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Hard Not to Like, 2nd) – “Unfortunately, I stumbled out of there, as I wanted to be in there closer to the front. We got up, recouped and she ran a great race.”