• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 2 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 3 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 6 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 8 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 9 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 9 days ago

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's recovery from life-threatening battles with laminitis and colitis after his victory in the 2012 Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I) at Monmouth Park was voted by fans the 2012 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Moment of the Year.

The connections of Paynter will be honored with the "NTRA Moment of the Year" award at the Eclipse Awards, presented by Daily Racing Form, The Stronach Group, and Breeders' Cup Jan. 19 at Gulfstream Park Racetrack and Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla.

Paynter, a son of Awesome Again   owned by Zayat Stables, has been returned to trainer Bob Baffert and is currently at Santa Anita Park preparing for a 4-year-old campaign.

This year's balloting was conducted at ntra.com and offered voters 12 different images illustrating a wide range of human emotions as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Finishing second was I'll Have Another  's narrow victory over Bodemeister   in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Older Comments about Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"...

I have to agree. There wasn't specifically a 'moment" where Paynter recovered it was a long, drama filled process. I, too, think the Preakness Stakes was the most memorable moment this year, I will never forget watching that race
Kinda silly considering there's no evidence to suggest he's anywhere near the same horse he was prior to his diagnosis. Had he returned to racing and regained his old form I'd be more inclined to call it a "comeback" rather than simply surviving. He could very well regain his old form, but assuming he will at this point is pure conjecture. Plus, there was no actual "moment" when Paynter recovered for it was a gradual process that took many months. I'll Have Another's Preakness is the "moment" I'll always remember from 2012.
Bravo!