• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's recovery from life-threatening battles with laminitis and colitis after his victory in the 2012 Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I) at Monmouth Park was voted by fans the 2012 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Moment of the Year.

The connections of Paynter will be honored with the "NTRA Moment of the Year" award at the Eclipse Awards, presented by Daily Racing Form, The Stronach Group, and Breeders' Cup Jan. 19 at Gulfstream Park Racetrack and Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla.

Paynter, a son of Awesome Again   owned by Zayat Stables, has been returned to trainer Bob Baffert and is currently at Santa Anita Park preparing for a 4-year-old campaign.

This year's balloting was conducted at ntra.com and offered voters 12 different images illustrating a wide range of human emotions as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Finishing second was I'll Have Another  's narrow victory over Bodemeister   in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Older Comments about Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"...

I have to agree. There wasn't specifically a 'moment" where Paynter recovered it was a long, drama filled process. I, too, think the Preakness Stakes was the most memorable moment this year, I will never forget watching that race
Kinda silly considering there's no evidence to suggest he's anywhere near the same horse he was prior to his diagnosis. Had he returned to racing and regained his old form I'd be more inclined to call it a "comeback" rather than simply surviving. He could very well regain his old form, but assuming he will at this point is pure conjecture. Plus, there was no actual "moment" when Paynter recovered for it was a gradual process that took many months. I'll Have Another's Preakness is the "moment" I'll always remember from 2012.
Bravo!