• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 4 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's recovery from life-threatening battles with laminitis and colitis after his victory in the 2012 Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I) at Monmouth Park was voted by fans the 2012 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Moment of the Year.

The connections of Paynter will be honored with the "NTRA Moment of the Year" award at the Eclipse Awards, presented by Daily Racing Form, The Stronach Group, and Breeders' Cup Jan. 19 at Gulfstream Park Racetrack and Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla.

Paynter, a son of Awesome Again   owned by Zayat Stables, has been returned to trainer Bob Baffert and is currently at Santa Anita Park preparing for a 4-year-old campaign.

This year's balloting was conducted at ntra.com and offered voters 12 different images illustrating a wide range of human emotions as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Finishing second was I'll Have Another  's narrow victory over Bodemeister   in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Older Comments about Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"...

I have to agree. There wasn't specifically a 'moment" where Paynter recovered it was a long, drama filled process. I, too, think the Preakness Stakes was the most memorable moment this year, I will never forget watching that race
Kinda silly considering there's no evidence to suggest he's anywhere near the same horse he was prior to his diagnosis. Had he returned to racing and regained his old form I'd be more inclined to call it a "comeback" rather than simply surviving. He could very well regain his old form, but assuming he will at this point is pure conjecture. Plus, there was no actual "moment" when Paynter recovered for it was a gradual process that took many months. I'll Have Another's Preakness is the "moment" I'll always remember from 2012.
Bravo!