• Proctor's Ledge (6-1), with first-time Lasix, rolls on the turf in the Lake George.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Dream It Is (4-1) romps in the Grade 3 Schuylerville at Saratoga.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Indycott (7-5) wins the opener, as they're off at Saratoga!Posted 22 hours ago
  • Bowies Hero (3-1) much the best in the Oceanside Stakes on opening day at Del Mar.Posted 2 days ago
  • Irap (7-5) romps home a big winner of the Indiana Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Eagle (5-2) rides the rail to victory in the Schaefer Memorial.Posted 6 days ago
  • West Coast (2-5) powers home nicely in the Los Alamitos Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) wins the Delaware Handicap by only a length.Posted 6 days ago
  • Disco Partner (7-5) runs away from his Forbidden Apple competition.Posted 6 days ago
  • Frostmourne (1-2) turns the Kent Stakes into his own private party.Posted 6 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"

Paynter's recovery from life-threatening battles with laminitis and colitis after his victory in the 2012 Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I) at Monmouth Park was voted by fans the 2012 National Thoroughbred Racing Association Moment of the Year.

The connections of Paynter will be honored with the "NTRA Moment of the Year" award at the Eclipse Awards, presented by Daily Racing Form, The Stronach Group, and Breeders' Cup Jan. 19 at Gulfstream Park Racetrack and Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla.

Paynter, a son of Awesome Again   owned by Zayat Stables, has been returned to trainer Bob Baffert and is currently at Santa Anita Park preparing for a 4-year-old campaign.

This year's balloting was conducted at ntra.com and offered voters 12 different images illustrating a wide range of human emotions as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Finishing second was I'll Have Another  's narrow victory over Bodemeister   in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Older Comments about Paynter's Recovery Voted "Moment of the Year"...

I have to agree. There wasn't specifically a 'moment" where Paynter recovered it was a long, drama filled process. I, too, think the Preakness Stakes was the most memorable moment this year, I will never forget watching that race
Kinda silly considering there's no evidence to suggest he's anywhere near the same horse he was prior to his diagnosis. Had he returned to racing and regained his old form I'd be more inclined to call it a "comeback" rather than simply surviving. He could very well regain his old form, but assuming he will at this point is pure conjecture. Plus, there was no actual "moment" when Paynter recovered for it was a gradual process that took many months. I'll Have Another's Preakness is the "moment" I'll always remember from 2012.
Bravo!