• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 1 day ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 4 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 4 days ago

Orb Takes Another Step Toward Travers

Before Palace Malice won the Grade 2 Jim Dandy and Verrazano took the Grade 1 Haskell, Kentucky Derby winner Orb took another step toward the Grade 1 Travers when he worked a half-mile on Saturday at the training center in Fair Hill, Md. in 48 1/5 seconds.

The work was Orb's fourth since his third-place finish behind winner Palace Malice in the Belmont Stakes, and Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey said he is pleased with the way the Malibu Moon colt is coming up to the "Mid-Summer Derby."

"It was foggy, so I didn't see too much, but I liked what I did see," he said. "It was very good, and he seemed to come out of it good."

McGaughey said he was impressed by the performances of the Todd Pletcher-trained Palace Malice and Verrazano.

"I thought Verrazano ran great," he said. "The races were good."