• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 1 day ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 4 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 4 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 4 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 4 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Orb Returns to Belmont Park

Orb arrives at Belmont Park (5-5-13).
Photo: NYRA, Adam Coglianese
Trainer Shug McGaughey was back at his Belmont Park barn Sunday afternoon, the day after Orb’s Triple Crown bid ended with a fourth-place finish in the Preakness. The son of Malibu Moon arrived at Belmont at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday and McGaughey reported that his charge had shipped back home well and will be monitored in the coming days before a decision on the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes 2013 on June 8 is reached.

“He was already in his stall when I got back here and seemed to be fine,” said McGaughey. “We’ll walk him a good while this afternoon and just kind of see what we have. The Belmont Stakes is on our radar screen.

“I talked to Mr. Janney this morning. He and Mr. Phipps had talked on their way to the airport. We just all came to the conclusion that we should just watch Orb and see. I think everything is in good shape. We’d like to run. But yesterday took a little bit out of him and he’s already run five times this year and it’s only the middle of May. I’d sure like to have him fresh for Saratoga and a Jim Dandy/Travers kind of a go.

“He’s just going to have to tell us what we want to see. If he’s jumping out of his skin, we’re going to bring him over here [to run in the Belmont Stakes]. I might know in about a week. I just have to wait and see. Everything’s gone great all year until yesterday. But I don’t anticipate any problems. I don’t think he’s knocked out by any means.”

Oxbow, the Preakness Stakes winner, departed Pimlico before dawn on Sunday and vanned to trainer D. Wayne Lukas’ barn at Churchill Downs, according to Pimlico officials. The colt is expected to aim for the Belmont Stakes.

According to NYRA stakes coordinator Andrew Byrnes, Oxbow currently is slated to face Freedom Child, Golden Soul, Overanalyze, Palace Malice, and Revolutionary. Bob Baffert will run either Code West or Power Broker. Itsmyluckyday is possible.

Older Comments about Orb Returns to Belmont Park...

He tried in the end to move forward but it wasn't his day. Now, he's back at his track and I do hope they run hiim in the Belmont Stakes. I think he will win on his track, only he came out of the Preakness sound!