• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 4 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 4 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 5 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 5 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 5 days ago

Orb Returns to Belmont Park

Orb arrives at Belmont Park (5-5-13).
Photo: NYRA, Adam Coglianese
Trainer Shug McGaughey was back at his Belmont Park barn Sunday afternoon, the day after Orb’s Triple Crown bid ended with a fourth-place finish in the Preakness. The son of Malibu Moon arrived at Belmont at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday and McGaughey reported that his charge had shipped back home well and will be monitored in the coming days before a decision on the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes 2013 on June 8 is reached.

“He was already in his stall when I got back here and seemed to be fine,” said McGaughey. “We’ll walk him a good while this afternoon and just kind of see what we have. The Belmont Stakes is on our radar screen.

“I talked to Mr. Janney this morning. He and Mr. Phipps had talked on their way to the airport. We just all came to the conclusion that we should just watch Orb and see. I think everything is in good shape. We’d like to run. But yesterday took a little bit out of him and he’s already run five times this year and it’s only the middle of May. I’d sure like to have him fresh for Saratoga and a Jim Dandy/Travers kind of a go.

“He’s just going to have to tell us what we want to see. If he’s jumping out of his skin, we’re going to bring him over here [to run in the Belmont Stakes]. I might know in about a week. I just have to wait and see. Everything’s gone great all year until yesterday. But I don’t anticipate any problems. I don’t think he’s knocked out by any means.”

Oxbow, the Preakness Stakes winner, departed Pimlico before dawn on Sunday and vanned to trainer D. Wayne Lukas’ barn at Churchill Downs, according to Pimlico officials. The colt is expected to aim for the Belmont Stakes.

According to NYRA stakes coordinator Andrew Byrnes, Oxbow currently is slated to face Freedom Child, Golden Soul, Overanalyze, Palace Malice, and Revolutionary. Bob Baffert will run either Code West or Power Broker. Itsmyluckyday is possible.

Older Comments about Orb Returns to Belmont Park...

He tried in the end to move forward but it wasn't his day. Now, he's back at his track and I do hope they run hiim in the Belmont Stakes. I think he will win on his track, only he came out of the Preakness sound!