• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 3 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Options Abound for La Tia

La Tia wins 2014 Ontario Matron
Photo: WEG/Michael Burns
Hernandez Racing Club’s La Tia gave local fans a thrill through the majority of the stretch in the Grade I $750,000 Beverly D. on Aug. 16, leading all the way until the last sixteenth of a mile and losing by 1½ lengths at odds of nearly 11-1.  The Armando De La Cerda trainee improved upon her fifth-place finish in 2013 and was beaten by Group/Grade I-level horses in Royal Ascot-placed winner Euro Charline, Breeders’ Cup winner Stephanie’s Kitten and Irish classic winning Just The Judge.  After the race, the filly seems no worse for the wear, according to her connections.

“She’s very happy right now,” De La Cerda reported.  “After the race, she wasn’t too tired like she usually is. I don’t know if she thought she won, or not, but she was very happy with her race and you could tell.  I gave her four days of walking and she started galloping yesterday and came back pretty good yesterday and today from the track.”

A half-length from being Grade I-placed, La Tia now will look at races at a variety of venues.  “I’ll look at Canada,” De La Cerda said.  “She lost by two lengths last year there (in the Grade II $300,000 Canadian Stakes) and she’s better horse this year. There is also a handicap (at Woodbine) on September 6 on the Polytrack for her to build her confidence back.  If she goes there for the handicap, I might look at running her back in the Grade I (First Lady) Stakes at a mile on the grass at Keeneland. I also am going to look at the $200,000 Grade III (Noble Damsel) at Belmont, too.”