• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 4 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 5 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 9 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 11 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 12 days ago

Options Abound for La Tia

La Tia wins 2014 Ontario Matron
Photo: WEG/Michael Burns
Hernandez Racing Club’s La Tia gave local fans a thrill through the majority of the stretch in the Grade I $750,000 Beverly D. on Aug. 16, leading all the way until the last sixteenth of a mile and losing by 1½ lengths at odds of nearly 11-1.  The Armando De La Cerda trainee improved upon her fifth-place finish in 2013 and was beaten by Group/Grade I-level horses in Royal Ascot-placed winner Euro Charline, Breeders’ Cup winner Stephanie’s Kitten and Irish classic winning Just The Judge.  After the race, the filly seems no worse for the wear, according to her connections.

“She’s very happy right now,” De La Cerda reported.  “After the race, she wasn’t too tired like she usually is. I don’t know if she thought she won, or not, but she was very happy with her race and you could tell.  I gave her four days of walking and she started galloping yesterday and came back pretty good yesterday and today from the track.”

A half-length from being Grade I-placed, La Tia now will look at races at a variety of venues.  “I’ll look at Canada,” De La Cerda said.  “She lost by two lengths last year there (in the Grade II $300,000 Canadian Stakes) and she’s better horse this year. There is also a handicap (at Woodbine) on September 6 on the Polytrack for her to build her confidence back.  If she goes there for the handicap, I might look at running her back in the Grade I (First Lady) Stakes at a mile on the grass at Keeneland. I also am going to look at the $200,000 Grade III (Noble Damsel) at Belmont, too.”