• Tequilita (5-2) returns to the winner's circle in the Grade 3 Charles Town Oaks.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Sharp Azteca (1-2) draws clear in the Grade 2 Kelso.Posted 1 day ago
  • West Coast (4-5) leaves the field far behind in the Grade 1 Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 1 day ago
  • It Tiz Well (5-1) bests Abel Tasman in the Grade 1 Cotillion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Coal Front (4-5) refuses to let American Pastime by in the Grade 3 Gallant Bob.Posted 1 day ago
  • Page McKenney (6-1) digs down and holds on in the Pa Derby Champion Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Off Limits (8-5) glides by her competition in the Grade 3 Noble Damsel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Capla Temptress (5-1) rolls home in the Natalma, while making her North American debut.Posted 7 days ago
  • Untamed Domain (3-1) kicks it in late to win the Summer Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 7 days ago
  • World Approval (2-1) shows he is much the best in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile.Posted 8 days ago

Options Abound for La Tia

La Tia wins 2014 Ontario Matron
Photo: WEG/Michael Burns
Hernandez Racing Club’s La Tia gave local fans a thrill through the majority of the stretch in the Grade I $750,000 Beverly D. on Aug. 16, leading all the way until the last sixteenth of a mile and losing by 1½ lengths at odds of nearly 11-1.  The Armando De La Cerda trainee improved upon her fifth-place finish in 2013 and was beaten by Group/Grade I-level horses in Royal Ascot-placed winner Euro Charline, Breeders’ Cup winner Stephanie’s Kitten and Irish classic winning Just The Judge.  After the race, the filly seems no worse for the wear, according to her connections.

“She’s very happy right now,” De La Cerda reported.  “After the race, she wasn’t too tired like she usually is. I don’t know if she thought she won, or not, but she was very happy with her race and you could tell.  I gave her four days of walking and she started galloping yesterday and came back pretty good yesterday and today from the track.”

A half-length from being Grade I-placed, La Tia now will look at races at a variety of venues.  “I’ll look at Canada,” De La Cerda said.  “She lost by two lengths last year there (in the Grade II $300,000 Canadian Stakes) and she’s better horse this year. There is also a handicap (at Woodbine) on September 6 on the Polytrack for her to build her confidence back.  If she goes there for the handicap, I might look at running her back in the Grade I (First Lady) Stakes at a mile on the grass at Keeneland. I also am going to look at the $200,000 Grade III (Noble Damsel) at Belmont, too.”