• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 1 day ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 2 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 2 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 3 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 3 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 3 days ago

Options Abound for La Tia

La Tia wins 2014 Ontario Matron
Photo: WEG/Michael Burns
Hernandez Racing Club’s La Tia gave local fans a thrill through the majority of the stretch in the Grade I $750,000 Beverly D. on Aug. 16, leading all the way until the last sixteenth of a mile and losing by 1½ lengths at odds of nearly 11-1.  The Armando De La Cerda trainee improved upon her fifth-place finish in 2013 and was beaten by Group/Grade I-level horses in Royal Ascot-placed winner Euro Charline, Breeders’ Cup winner Stephanie’s Kitten and Irish classic winning Just The Judge.  After the race, the filly seems no worse for the wear, according to her connections.

“She’s very happy right now,” De La Cerda reported.  “After the race, she wasn’t too tired like she usually is. I don’t know if she thought she won, or not, but she was very happy with her race and you could tell.  I gave her four days of walking and she started galloping yesterday and came back pretty good yesterday and today from the track.”

A half-length from being Grade I-placed, La Tia now will look at races at a variety of venues.  “I’ll look at Canada,” De La Cerda said.  “She lost by two lengths last year there (in the Grade II $300,000 Canadian Stakes) and she’s better horse this year. There is also a handicap (at Woodbine) on September 6 on the Polytrack for her to build her confidence back.  If she goes there for the handicap, I might look at running her back in the Grade I (First Lady) Stakes at a mile on the grass at Keeneland. I also am going to look at the $200,000 Grade III (Noble Damsel) at Belmont, too.”