• Miss Ella (5-2) wins the Caress Stakes at Saratoga for the second straight year.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Madam Dancealot (21-1) rolls from last to win the San Clemente going away.Posted 1 day ago
  • Abel Tasman (4-5) edges Elate in the Coaching Club American Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Accelerate (7-1) wins in a romp as Arrogate finishes way back in the San Diego Handicap. Posted 2 days ago
  • Hunt (3-1) waits and then blows by in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lady Eli (9-10), giving eight pounds, edges Quidura on the wire of the Grade 1 Diana.Posted 2 days ago
  • Firenze Fire (12-1) holds off Free Drop Billy in the Sanford Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (7-10) scores a hard-earned win in the New York Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • Proctor's Ledge (6-1), with first-time Lasix, rolls on the turf in the Lake George.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream It Is (4-1) romps in the Grade 3 Schuylerville at Saratoga.Posted 3 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

O'Brien, Crisford discuss BC hopefuls

On Wednesday, trainer Aidan O'Brien and Simon Crisford, Racing Manager for the Maktoum family's Godolphin operation, revealed their plans for the Breeders' Cup at a press event held at Epsom Downs racecourse in England. Read More

Older Comments about O'Brien, Crisford discuss BC hopefuls ...

Both of O'Brien's horses, Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman are for real. I've watched a lot of replays of races that they've either won or gave Sea The Stars all he wanted. Personally, although O'Brien doesn't seem to think so, I feel that Mastercraftsman is a bit more talented even then Rip Van Winkle. I plan to bet Mastercraftsman whether he's in the Dirt Mile or the Classic. I do, however, feel that Rip Van Winkle will be right there with the front runner's come Classic's end. If she sticks with the Classic, it would for me be difficult not to bet Zenyatta to at least hit the board. She handles the synthetics and most particularly Santa Anita race course as well as any horse in racing does. Since it seems that most good turf horses do well on the pro-ride surface, I also wouldn't rule Gio Ponti out of this race either. Beyond that, it's difficult to say. Einstein has done well here in the past having won the S.A. Handicap earlier in the year. Richard's Kid, although a longshot, has done exceedingly well on synthetics having won the Pacific Classic and finishing third in the Goodwood. Summer Bird and Quality Road are the question mark's to me in the race. Having raced exclusively on conventional dirt, no one really knows how they will fire on synthetics. If he does, I feel Quality Road may be sitting on a big race having been bogged down on off tracks his last two races. Colonel John is also proven on synthetics, although I think this particular group of horses may be a little better competition than he used to facing. All and all, this is a tough race to handicap with a lot of "what if" factors to consider. I anxiously await.