• Even Thunder (5-2) holds on to win the King's Swan.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Effinex, earner of more than $3.3 million, has been retired to stud in New York.Posted 3 days ago
  • Back on dirt, Midnight Storm (8-5) rolls home in the Native Diver.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kitasan Black, the favorite, scores victory in the Japan Cup.Posted 5 days ago
  • Farrell (10-1) easily wires the field in the Grade 2 Golden Rod.Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (3-2) nips Divining Rod in an excellent Cigar Mile stretch duel.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Town (4-1) much the best in the Grade 2 Remsen at Aqueduct.Posted 6 days ago
  • Miss Sky Warrior (5-1) holds off Jamyson 'n Ginger in the Demoiselle.Posted 6 days ago
  • Verve's Tale (20-1) powers by Lewis Bay late to win the Comely.Posted 6 days ago
  • Texas Ryano (2-1) much the best in the Hollywood Turf Cup.Posted 7 days ago

Norumbega Edges Micromanage in Brooklyn

Norumbega closed with a flourish to gain his first career stakes victory on Saturday at Belmont Park, edging favored Micromanage by a neck to win the 126th running of the Grade 2, $500,000 Brooklyn Invitational, the first graded event on Belmont Stakes Day.

Ridden by Joel Rosario, the gray son of Tiznow ran in fifth through the early going of the 1 ½-mile race, traipsing through fractions of 24.16, 48.73, 1:13.41 and hitting the mile in 1:37.87 before giving way. Cat Burglar then seized a narrow lead before being overtaken by Micromanage, but Norumbega closed stoutly to get up in the shadow of the wire.

His winning time for the 1 ½ miles was 2:27.13.

"I had a really good trip and my horse ran great," said Rosario. "I just followed the other horses around and was aware they weren't going too fast in front of me. When I asked him, he had plenty to give me. The other horses tried to get out a little, but he dug in, and it all worked out great."

Sent off at 10-1, Norumbega returned $22.40 for a $2 win bet as he scored his first win of the year. Prior to the Brooklyn, the Stuart Janney color-bearer eighth in the Grade 3 Ben Ali at Keeneland Race Course and second to Micromanage in the Grade 3 Skip Away at Gulfstream Park. Overall, he is now 4-3-1 from 13 starts.

"The slow early pace wasn't a big concern," said winning trainer Shug McGaughey. "He had been training really well and we expected him to run a big race. We're not sure where he'll go next because it's tough to find another 1 1 /2-mile race."

Micromanage was a half-length ahead of Cat Burglar.

"I didn't have any excuse at all," said Javier Castellano, aboard the beaten favorite. "I just got beat today. I had a beautiful trip. In the beginning of the race I saved all the ground, and turning for home I just let him go. He gave me the best run of his career but, unfortunately, he just got beat by a better horse today."

Completing the order of finish were Ever Rider, Ground Transport, Golden Soul and Eriugena. Bigger is Bettor was scratched.