• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Norumbega Edges Micromanage in Brooklyn

Norumbega closed with a flourish to gain his first career stakes victory on Saturday at Belmont Park, edging favored Micromanage by a neck to win the 126th running of the Grade 2, $500,000 Brooklyn Invitational, the first graded event on Belmont Stakes Day.

Ridden by Joel Rosario, the gray son of Tiznow ran in fifth through the early going of the 1 ½-mile race, traipsing through fractions of 24.16, 48.73, 1:13.41 and hitting the mile in 1:37.87 before giving way. Cat Burglar then seized a narrow lead before being overtaken by Micromanage, but Norumbega closed stoutly to get up in the shadow of the wire.

His winning time for the 1 ½ miles was 2:27.13.

"I had a really good trip and my horse ran great," said Rosario. "I just followed the other horses around and was aware they weren't going too fast in front of me. When I asked him, he had plenty to give me. The other horses tried to get out a little, but he dug in, and it all worked out great."

Sent off at 10-1, Norumbega returned $22.40 for a $2 win bet as he scored his first win of the year. Prior to the Brooklyn, the Stuart Janney color-bearer eighth in the Grade 3 Ben Ali at Keeneland Race Course and second to Micromanage in the Grade 3 Skip Away at Gulfstream Park. Overall, he is now 4-3-1 from 13 starts.

"The slow early pace wasn't a big concern," said winning trainer Shug McGaughey. "He had been training really well and we expected him to run a big race. We're not sure where he'll go next because it's tough to find another 1 1 /2-mile race."

Micromanage was a half-length ahead of Cat Burglar.

"I didn't have any excuse at all," said Javier Castellano, aboard the beaten favorite. "I just got beat today. I had a beautiful trip. In the beginning of the race I saved all the ground, and turning for home I just let him go. He gave me the best run of his career but, unfortunately, he just got beat by a better horse today."

Completing the order of finish were Ever Rider, Ground Transport, Golden Soul and Eriugena. Bigger is Bettor was scratched.