• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 3 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 4 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 5 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 5 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 8 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 10 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 11 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 11 days ago

Norman Asbjornson Wins Harrison Johnson

Thomas McClay & Harry Nye’s Norman Asbjornson ran down front runner Eighttofasttocatch to win the $125,000 Harrison E. Johnson Memorial Stakes this afternoon at Laurel Park.

Sent to post at 6-1 under Jeremy Rose for trainer Carlos Mancilla, the 5-year-old was winning his first stakes. A hint of what he was capable of doing came in his previous start, when Norman Asbjornson was elevated to second in the John B. Campbell Stakes last month after he was fouled by Service for Ten in the final furlong.

Mancilla is filling in for trainer Chris Grove, who is serving a suspension. Mancilla has been Grove’s top assistant for 16 years.

“We thought he should have won that race and we were confident coming into the race,” said Mancilla, who also won Saturday’s fifth race with Wry Me.

While Eighttofasttocatch, the two-time defending champion of the race, opened a commanding lead, a lead which held up into the stretch, the winner was last at the start, last down the backstretch and last entering the far turn. Norman Asbjornson was closing relentlessly with a furlong to go and swept by to win going away, by 1-1/2 lengths.

Norman Asbjornson completed the nine furlong distance in 1:51.77. General George (G3) winner Javerre finished third, 2-1/4 back of Eightofasttocatch.

“The thing I had going for me is I knew my horse could get the distance,” said Rose, who was aboard for the first time. “To be honest I didn’t expect (Eighttofasttocatch) to open up that far. I didn’t know if I gave my horse too much ground to make up but he’s a nice horse, he overcame me and got the job done.”

The son of Real Quiet has six runner-up finishes in stakes races during his career, including the Gotham Stakes (G3) and competed in both the Wood Memorial (G1) and Preakness Stakes (G1) two years ago.

“He always tries and is very versatile,” added Mancilla.

Norman Asbjornson paid $14.20 and improved to 5-of-20 lifetime with 13 on the board finishes for earnings of $403,350.

Koh I Noor, who had won four straight at Laurel since October, finished fourth as the 4-5 betting choice.