• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 5 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 5 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 5 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 6 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 6 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 6 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 6 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 6 days ago

Norman Asbjornson Wins Harrison Johnson

Thomas McClay & Harry Nye’s Norman Asbjornson ran down front runner Eighttofasttocatch to win the $125,000 Harrison E. Johnson Memorial Stakes this afternoon at Laurel Park.

Sent to post at 6-1 under Jeremy Rose for trainer Carlos Mancilla, the 5-year-old was winning his first stakes. A hint of what he was capable of doing came in his previous start, when Norman Asbjornson was elevated to second in the John B. Campbell Stakes last month after he was fouled by Service for Ten in the final furlong.

Mancilla is filling in for trainer Chris Grove, who is serving a suspension. Mancilla has been Grove’s top assistant for 16 years.

“We thought he should have won that race and we were confident coming into the race,” said Mancilla, who also won Saturday’s fifth race with Wry Me.

While Eighttofasttocatch, the two-time defending champion of the race, opened a commanding lead, a lead which held up into the stretch, the winner was last at the start, last down the backstretch and last entering the far turn. Norman Asbjornson was closing relentlessly with a furlong to go and swept by to win going away, by 1-1/2 lengths.

Norman Asbjornson completed the nine furlong distance in 1:51.77. General George (G3) winner Javerre finished third, 2-1/4 back of Eightofasttocatch.

“The thing I had going for me is I knew my horse could get the distance,” said Rose, who was aboard for the first time. “To be honest I didn’t expect (Eighttofasttocatch) to open up that far. I didn’t know if I gave my horse too much ground to make up but he’s a nice horse, he overcame me and got the job done.”

The son of Real Quiet has six runner-up finishes in stakes races during his career, including the Gotham Stakes (G3) and competed in both the Wood Memorial (G1) and Preakness Stakes (G1) two years ago.

“He always tries and is very versatile,” added Mancilla.

Norman Asbjornson paid $14.20 and improved to 5-of-20 lifetime with 13 on the board finishes for earnings of $403,350.

Koh I Noor, who had won four straight at Laurel since October, finished fourth as the 4-5 betting choice.