A field of nine 2-year-olds will head postward this Saturday
in the Grade 3, $150,000 Sapling Stakes at Monmouth Park,
the racetrack’s premier event for juvenile runners.
Among the likely favorites in this year’s 76th renewal of the Sapling are
Canadian-invader Madman Diaries, maiden Nacho Saint, undefeated Tyro winner
Vengeful Wildcat and Sanford
At six furlongs on the main track, the Sapling has historically produced some
of the nation’s top runners, including Needles, Carry Back, Buckpasser, Foolish
Pleasure, Alydar, Gilded Time and Smoke Glacken, to name a few.
This year’s Sapling will go as race 11 on a 13-race program. From the rail out,
with rider assignments, the entire field is:
1. Madman Diaries, Jeffrey Sanchez
2. Nacho Saint, Garrett Gomez
3. Another Silver Oak, Fernando Jara
4. Vengeful Wildcat, C. H. Marquez Jr.
5. Printing Press, C. C. Lopez
6. J J’s Lucky Train, Jeremy Rose
7. Brother in Arms, Joe Bravo
8. Chipshot, Shaun Bridgmohan
9. Maybesomaybenot, Elvis Trujillo