Breeders' Cup 2014

GET FREE BREEDERS' CUP PICKS!  WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • American Pharoah is out of the BC Juvenile due to a bone bruise. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dame Dorothy remains unbeaten in the Turnback the Alarm! Posted 3 days ago
  • West Coast Belle wins the Rags to Riches for fun! Posted 3 days ago
  • Conquest Tsunami storms to victory in the Street Sense! Posted 3 days ago
  • Military Attack defeats a top field in the Sha Tin Trophy! Posted 3 days ago
  • Canadian Lexie Lou wins the Autumn Miss at Santa Anita! Posted 4 days ago
  • Pick of the Litter edges Departing in the final strides of the Fayette! Posted 4 days ago
  • Salutos Amigos is best in the Bold Ruler! Posted 4 days ago
  • Adelaide wins a thrilling edition of the Cox Plate! Posted 5 days ago
  • 201 Pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup, including 15 in the Classic. Posted 7 days ago

Nicole H Finds Room in Correction

Nicole H extended her inner-track unbeaten streak to four Saturday afternoon at Aqueduct Racetrack, splitting horses in the stretch and going on to a 2 ½-length victory in the 72nd running of the $100,000 Correction Stakes.

Tracking in third along the rail as Winning Image was stalked by Golden Mystery through an opening quarter-mile in 23.18 and a half in 46.78, Nicole H found herself blocked to the outside as they turned for home. Urged between the two front runners by jockey Ramon Dominguez, Nicole H grabbed the lead and widened her advantage through the stretch.

"I was actually trying to work my way out from the half-mile to the three-eighths pole, but unfortunately, horses kept coming to my outside, and really, I was left with no choice," Dominguez said. "I felt like I had enough horse and she was handy enough where even if the horse in front had come in, even in a split-second, I had the horse to get inside or outside. I would have rather been tracking on the outside, but I was very happy about the way she was taking me. When she finally got through, she continued going. She was a lot handier than last time."

The 5-year-old daughter of Mr. Greeley completed six furlongs in 1:11.08 and returned $3.00 as the 1-2 favorite. Longshot Honchis'n Ponchis came on late to edge Golden Mystery for second and Love That Dance, Streaker, Cinco de Mayo Mio and Winning Image completed the order of finish.

"Cornelio [Velasquez, aboard Golden Mystery] race-rode my horse pretty strong. It was good riding, but you hope the best horse makes the trainer and jockey look pretty smart," said Mike Hushion, who trains Nicole H for Gem, Inc. "We've always felt she was one of the best fillies in the country. We have the rest of the year to prove it."

Nicole H now claims a record of 7-6-2 from 18 starts and a $404,344 bankroll, including the $60,000 she earned for today's victory. Next up could be a title defense in the Grade 2, $200,000 Distaff Handicap run at seven furlongs over Aqueduct's main track on April 14.

"There are a lot of choices, but that would be the obvious one," Hushion said.