• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 4 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

Nashoba's Gold Stylish in Honeymoon

Nashoba's Gold wins 2014 Honeymoon.
Photo: Benoit Photo
Coming from well off the pace as usual under Joe Talamo, Nashoba’s Gold rolled to a stylish one-length victory in Sunday’s Grade II, $200,250, Honeymoon Stakes at Santa Anita Park, the third win from four career starts for the gray daughter of Smart Strike trained by Carla Gaines for owner/breeder Warren Williamson.

It was the second straight stakes win for Nashoba’s Gold, who took the Grade III Providencia Stakes by one length on April 5 under Talamo, who has ridden her in all four of her races, finishing second in the China Doll Stakes on March 8.

Sweet Bliss, the longest shot in the field of six at 29-1 with Aaron Gryder aboard, nosed out second choice Diversy Harbor for the place. Margot Machance was fourth.

Nashoba’s Gold covered the distance under 117 pounds on a firm course in 1:48.61 and earned $120,000. She paid $3.40 to win as the odds-on favorite.

“She’s a very special filly,” said Gaines after the win, adding that the Grade I, $350,000 American Oaks at 1 ¼ miles on turf May 31 would be next for Nashoba’s Gold.

“We had a great trip,” said Talamo, who moved to the outside of the three fillies to her inside in mid-stretch to win under a long hold in the final yards.

“Once you get the momentum going, she’s like a freight train,” the 24-year-old Talamo said. “She was amazing. I never did hit her. I just urged her a little bit and once she got in front, she just coasted home.

“I don’t think there are any distance limitations for her. The further the better. I could just tell galloping after the races; sometimes I need the outrider to pull me up because she just wants to go . . . hopefully, she can be as good as her sister was. She’s the sister to Nashoba’s Key, which was my first Grade I winner when I was 17.”