• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 3 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 9 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 10 days ago

NY Riders Enjoy Derby Experience

Jockey Rajiv Maragh

Rajiv Maragh and Irad Ortiz, Jr. are none the worse for wear after contesting yesterday's Grade 1 Kentucky Derby. Maragh, who was aboard 6-1 second choice Wicked Strong, finished fourth, while Ortiz checked in 14th aboard Uncle Sigh, who led the field after a half-mile and three-quarters.

"The experience was great," said Ortiz of his first time riding in the Derby. "My horse ran well. He broke sharp and went to the front easily. I asked him to run at the 3/8-pole and he picked it up, but by the quarter-pole the other horses ran by him and he got a little tired."

Like Ortiz, Maragh came away feeling good about his mount's performance.

"My horse ran really well," said Maragh. "He came on nice at the end, but didn't have enough. On the first turn I went in as much as I could [from post 19] and the pace didn't materialize the way I hoped, so I took advantage of saving some ground on the second turn. In a perfect world, I could have gone somewhere with a big, clear path in the stretch, but when there's 19 horses it's sometimes hard to get a [place to run]. Most horses, and especially big ones like Wicked Strong, do better when they get a clear run. A couple of times I had to alter course because of what was in front of me and where the openings were. He's more of a big, steady run horse; he doesn't have a quick turn of foot. He felt like a horse that would really love the 1 ½-mile Belmont."

Jose Ortiz, who finished fifth aboard Samraat, took off his mounts at Belmont on Sunday after a spill in the final race at Churchill Downs on Saturday. He was discharged after being evaluated at a Louisville hospital.