• American Pharoah drew post position #5 as the 3-5 favorite in a field of 8 for the Belmont.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Lady Eli remains unbeaten with her victory in the Wonder Again at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Force the Pass just gets up in the $500,000 Penn Mile with a late rush.Posted 3 days ago
  • Catch A Flight outduels Moreno to the wire in the Californian.Posted 3 days ago
  • It's all Golden Lad in the Mountainview at Penn National.Posted 3 days ago
  • Amelia's Wild Ride just holds off Ben's Cat to win the Pennsylvania Governor's Cup.Posted 3 days ago
  • Spanish Queen edges by Feathered down the lane to win the Grade 1 American Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Divisidero relentless from the outside to get up in the Pennine Ridge.Posted 3 days ago
  • Delicious run by The Pizza Man to win the Opening Verse.Posted 3 days ago
  • Alsvid upsets champion Work All Week in the Aristides at Churchill Downs.Posted 3 days ago

My Jen Surprises in Gallant Bloom

My Jen rallied through the stretch to edge Moontune Missy in the final strides and gain her first graded stakes victory in the 17th running of the Grade 2, $150,000 Gallant Bloom Saturday afternoon at Belmont Park.

Under jockey Julien Leparoux, My Jen settled in mid-pack as favored Rapport led through fractions of 22.85 and 46.16. Moving up approaching the quarter-pole, the 3-year-old daughter of Fusaichi Pegasus was asked for run once clear and took off as they straightened for home, steadily gaining on the front runners and getting up to win by a head.

My Jen hit the wire in 1:17.13 for the 6 ½ furlongs over the fast track, returning $26.60 to her backers for a $2 wager as the 12-1 fifth betting choice in the field of eight. Sara Louise was third, with favored Rapport finishing sixth.

“Around the turn, she started to go backwards, and I was a little worried about that, but she has a big heart,” said Leparoux. “I was confident that she would give me a good run and she did.”

The Gallant Bloom was My Jen’s second race following a seven-month layoff, having finished second to Rapport in the Grade 3 Victory Ride at Saratoga Race Course August 28.

“That was a big effort that day, and we knew she’d benefit from that and move forward for today’s race, which she did,” said winning trainer Eddie Kenneally.

The win was the first of the year for My Jen, following a 3-for-3 campaign in 2009. She improved her lifetime record to 4-1-0 from six starts, and nearly doubled her career earnings to $191,000 for her owner, Windmill Manor Farm.

The front-running Rapport, sent off at 9-5, “never felt comfortable” according to her rider Martin Garcia.

“She just didn’t respond like I was waiting for,” he said.

The victory gave My Jen an automatic berth into the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint at Churchill Downs on November 5 as part of the Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” series.

“We’ll see – it’s a 3-year-old filly running against older horses, but she did it today,” said Kenneally, who also trains Filly & Mare Sprint hopeful Warbling. “Who knows? Maybe they’ll both run.”