• Weekend Hideaway rolls home an easy winner of the Commentator Stakes.Posted 15 minutes ago
  • There's no catching Si Sage in the Grade 2 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Santa Anita.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou returns to her winning ways in today's Grade 2 Nassau Stakes.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Enola Gray takes the Melair gate to wire.Posted 1 day ago
  • Surgical Strike charges on the outside to win the Arlington Classic (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Diva Express and I'm a Looker make a dead heat run in the Winning Colors (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Flipcup game in Arlington Matron (G3) victory.Posted 1 day ago
  • In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 7 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 7 days ago

My Happy Face Wins Tempted Stretch Battle

My Happy Face, a tough-luck second in the Grade 1 Frizette on October 6 at Belmont Park, had a photo finish go her way in the Tempted, dueling from the inside with Cue the Moon for the entire one-mile distance and getting her nose down on the wire to prevail by a neck as the odds-on favorite.

Leaving from the inside post, My Happy Face was flanked by Cue the Moon, who pushed the 1-5 top choice through fractions of 22.48, 44.87, and 1:09.78. Cue the Moon drew on even terms at the head of the stretch, but My Happy Face battled back along the inside to post her first graded stakes score.

My Happy Face paid $2.60 and completed one mile in 1:36.32.

“I knew the other filly who finished second [Cue the Moon] was a very nice filly; she won first time out,” said winning jockey Ramon Dominguez, who had ridden Cue the Moon in her lone previous outing. “Our filly was extremely fast out of the gate. She didn’t get any breather today, but, being on the inside when the other filly went to press me, I really had no choice. It was a pretty good battle turning for home. The other filly didn’t give up and neither did mine.”

The Frizette had played out in similar fashion, except My Happy Face came up a head short after trading punches with winner Dreaming of Julia. Following the Frizette, owner Michael Dubb and trainer Rudy Rodriguez sending My Happy Face to the Grade 1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies on November 2 at Santa Anita before deciding to leave her in New York for the Tempted.

“She’s very aggressive, very game, and she takes care of herself,” said Rodriguez. “We’re just going to enjoy this one, and hopefully she’ll keep improving. We’ll talk to Michael Dubb and see what he wants to do, but she’s a game filly. We were thinking about going to California [for the Breeders’ Cup], but I think we did the right thing by staying here, because they ran very, very big over there.”

My Happy Face, a daughter of Tiz Wonderful who broke her maiden by 21 ¼ lengths on August 31 at Saratoga, is 2-2-0 in four career starts and has earned $234,000, including $90,000 for her Tempted triumph.

Ruby Lips and Unabashed completed the order of finish. Emollient and Kimono were scratched.

Older Comments about My Happy Face Wins Tempted Stretch Battle...

I'm looking forward to seeing My Happy Face in the future. She is a very fast and game filly.