• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 1 day ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 2 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 2 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 2 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 2 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

My Adonis Gets Feel Of Belmont Surface

Kelly Breen the trainer of Atomic Rain and West Side Bernie is pictured during the morning training for the 135th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on April 29, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky.
Photo: Andy Lyons/Getty Images

The first Belmont Stakes horse on Belmont Park’s main track Thursday morning was My Adonis, who galloped just over a mile after the gates opened at 5:30.

New Jersey-based trainer Kelly Breen was on hand to watch My Adonis, who was a late confirmation for the race, coming on the evening before Wednesday’s entries were drawn.

“I needed to get back to Monmouth Park and take care of some things, so I wanted to see him and then beat the traffic to get back,” Breen said. “He looked good. We were the first ones on the track going the right way, so it was kind of like his own track.

“He probably looked around a little more than a horse would if there was company or something like that, but that’s him. I think most horses have a tendency to look around a little bit when there’s not much going on. I was very happy with what I saw.”

Most recently third, beaten a half-length, in the Canonero II at Pimlico Race Course on May 5, My Adonis has never raced at Belmont, but is no stranger to New York. He was second to 2011 juvenile male champion Hansen in the Grade 3 Gotham on March 3, and seventh of eight in the Grade 1 Resorts World Casino New York City Wood Memorial on April 7, both at Aqueduct.

Breen won last year’s Belmont Stakes for owners George and Lori Hall with 24-1 long shot Ruler On Ice. Ridden by Elvis Trujillo in each of his 10 career starts, My Adonis will have champion jockey Ramon Dominguez aboard on Saturday.

“I don’t know his actual ability, how fast he can run, but I think he’s ready to run as best as he possibly can on Saturday,” Breen said of My Adonis. “He’s pumped up, he looks good, and he’s training good. I’d have to say that if he’s that caliber, he’s going to give them hell.”

Older Comments about My Adonis Gets Feel Of Belmont Surface...

He doesn't know how fast he can run???