• Hoppertunity nips Imperative by a San Antonio head-bob.Posted 12 hours ago
  • In her seasonal debut, Songbird is a dominant winner of the Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Lukes Alley kicks it in late to win the Grade 1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Mor Spirit cruises late to win the Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Aussie-bred Power Alert gets there first in the GP Turf Sprint.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Tommy Macho runs away with the Fred Hooper at Gulfsrtream Park.Posted 17 hours ago
  • No catching Tammy the Torpedo in the turfy Suwannee River.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Lady Shipman (1-5) is an easy winner in the Lady's Turf Sprint at Gulfstream.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Cadet Roni relishes the slop in the Wishing Well at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Flora Dora gets to the wire first in the Big A's Busanda.Posted 6 days ago

My Adonis Gets Feel Of Belmont Surface

Kelly Breen the trainer of Atomic Rain and West Side Bernie is pictured during the morning training for the 135th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on April 29, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky.
Photo: Andy Lyons/Getty Images

The first Belmont Stakes horse on Belmont Park’s main track Thursday morning was My Adonis, who galloped just over a mile after the gates opened at 5:30.

New Jersey-based trainer Kelly Breen was on hand to watch My Adonis, who was a late confirmation for the race, coming on the evening before Wednesday’s entries were drawn.

“I needed to get back to Monmouth Park and take care of some things, so I wanted to see him and then beat the traffic to get back,” Breen said. “He looked good. We were the first ones on the track going the right way, so it was kind of like his own track.

“He probably looked around a little more than a horse would if there was company or something like that, but that’s him. I think most horses have a tendency to look around a little bit when there’s not much going on. I was very happy with what I saw.”

Most recently third, beaten a half-length, in the Canonero II at Pimlico Race Course on May 5, My Adonis has never raced at Belmont, but is no stranger to New York. He was second to 2011 juvenile male champion Hansen in the Grade 3 Gotham on March 3, and seventh of eight in the Grade 1 Resorts World Casino New York City Wood Memorial on April 7, both at Aqueduct.

Breen won last year’s Belmont Stakes for owners George and Lori Hall with 24-1 long shot Ruler On Ice. Ridden by Elvis Trujillo in each of his 10 career starts, My Adonis will have champion jockey Ramon Dominguez aboard on Saturday.

“I don’t know his actual ability, how fast he can run, but I think he’s ready to run as best as he possibly can on Saturday,” Breen said of My Adonis. “He’s pumped up, he looks good, and he’s training good. I’d have to say that if he’s that caliber, he’s going to give them hell.”

Older Comments about My Adonis Gets Feel Of Belmont Surface...

He doesn't know how fast he can run???