• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Mucho Mas Macho Eyes Pan American

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

Trainer Henry Collazo is scheduled to ship Mucho Mas Macho from Calder to Gulfstream Park Sunday for a workout over the turf course in preparation for a start in the $150,000 Pan American (G2) on March 23.

Mucho Mas Macho hasn’t run since Jan. 12, when he closed from far off the pace at odds of $41.60-1 to win the $150,000 Fort Lauderdale (G2) by a neck at Gulfstream. Collazo opted to skip the Mac Diarmida (G2) in favor of waiting for the Pan American.

“I’d rather concentrate on spacing my races out, so I can get to the end-of-the-year goal,” said Collazo, superstitiously avoiding the words: Breeders’ Cup Turf (G1). “I just want to take everything one race at a time.”

Collazo shipped the 4-year-old gelding to Gulfstream on Feb. 17 for a five-furlong workout over the turf course.

“I like to work him on the grass because I think he gets more out of the works when I do work him on the grass. I can maintain him over the track at Calder,” he said.
Mucho Mas Macho has won four of nine starts on grass and finished a strong second in the 1 ½-mile McKnight (G2) at Calder on Nov. 24 before cutting back to 1 1/16 miles for the Fort Lauderdale, in which he closed from ninth in mid-stretch to capture his first graded stakes.

“He’s a push-button horse and the rapport (jockey) Juan Leyva has with him makes him a lot more versatile. He’s the kind of horse who could probably go two miles and then give you a quarter mile or go a mile and give you a quarter mile,” Collazo said. “He always has something in the tank when you ask him to give it to you.”

Collazo expects the 4-year-old son of Macho Uno to continue to improve.

“I’ve been doing this for a long time and I’ve been around a lot of nice horses, and he’s special,” Collazo said.