• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Mucho Mas Macho Eyes Pan American

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

Trainer Henry Collazo is scheduled to ship Mucho Mas Macho from Calder to Gulfstream Park Sunday for a workout over the turf course in preparation for a start in the $150,000 Pan American (G2) on March 23.

Mucho Mas Macho hasn’t run since Jan. 12, when he closed from far off the pace at odds of $41.60-1 to win the $150,000 Fort Lauderdale (G2) by a neck at Gulfstream. Collazo opted to skip the Mac Diarmida (G2) in favor of waiting for the Pan American.

“I’d rather concentrate on spacing my races out, so I can get to the end-of-the-year goal,” said Collazo, superstitiously avoiding the words: Breeders’ Cup Turf (G1). “I just want to take everything one race at a time.”

Collazo shipped the 4-year-old gelding to Gulfstream on Feb. 17 for a five-furlong workout over the turf course.

“I like to work him on the grass because I think he gets more out of the works when I do work him on the grass. I can maintain him over the track at Calder,” he said.
Mucho Mas Macho has won four of nine starts on grass and finished a strong second in the 1 ½-mile McKnight (G2) at Calder on Nov. 24 before cutting back to 1 1/16 miles for the Fort Lauderdale, in which he closed from ninth in mid-stretch to capture his first graded stakes.

“He’s a push-button horse and the rapport (jockey) Juan Leyva has with him makes him a lot more versatile. He’s the kind of horse who could probably go two miles and then give you a quarter mile or go a mile and give you a quarter mile,” Collazo said. “He always has something in the tank when you ask him to give it to you.”

Collazo expects the 4-year-old son of Macho Uno to continue to improve.

“I’ve been doing this for a long time and I’ve been around a lot of nice horses, and he’s special,” Collazo said.