Breeders' Cup 2014

GET FREE BREEDERS' CUP PICKS!  WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • Untapable and a retiring Rosie Napravnik earn the top prize in the BC Distaff! Posted 3 hours ago
  • Lady Eli rides the rails to victory in the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf! Posted 3 hours ago
  • Goldencents wins his second Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile! Posted 3 hours ago
  • Hootenanny keys a 1-2 BC Juvenile Turf for Wesley Ward! Posted 3 hours ago
  • American Pharoah is out of the BC Juvenile due to a bone bruise. Posted 3 days ago
  • Dame Dorothy remains unbeaten in the Turnback the Alarm! Posted 5 days ago
  • West Coast Belle wins the Rags to Riches for fun! Posted 5 days ago
  • Conquest Tsunami storms to victory in the Street Sense! Posted 5 days ago
  • Military Attack defeats a top field in the Sha Tin Trophy! Posted 5 days ago
  • Canadian Lexie Lou wins the Autumn Miss at Santa Anita! Posted 6 days ago

Mucho Macho Man Completes Whitney Preparations

Mucho Macho Man 615 X 400
Photo: Eclipse Spotswire

Multiple Grade 2 winner and 2012 Breeders' Cup Classic runner-up Mucho Macho Man completed his serious preparations for next Saturday's Grade 1, $750,000 Whitney Invitational Handicap with a five-furlong breeze Saturday morning.

In his third local work, the 5-year-old son of Macho Uno was clocked in 1:02.18 over the main track for trainer Kathy Ritvo. On July 20, he went five-eighths in 1:01.61.

"He breezed great this morning, and he came back great," Ritvo said. "It was a very good move today. He's been very consistent with his works, and is just feeling great."

Mucho Macho Man is coming off a third-place finish in the Criminal Type overnight stakes at Belmont Park on June 14. Ritvo drew a parallel to last year, when Mucho Macho Man was third in the Grade 2 Alysheba and then came back with a solid victory in the Grade 2 Suburban Handicap, his most recent win.

"I think he's going to run really good this race," Ritvo said. "He's just doing so well. He's going into all his works good, and coming out of all his works good. He's had a very consistent schedule, and his attitude has been great. He's just doing very well."

With a record of 6-5-5 and earnings of $2,365,410 in 20 career starts, Mucho Macho Man is still seeking his first Grade 1 victory. In addition to the Breeders' Cup Classic, he was second by a neck in the Grade 1 Woodward at Saratoga last summer.

"The Whitney is a great, great race to win," Ritvo said. "If we can be that blessed and get that lucky, it would be fantastic."

Older Comments about Mucho Macho Man Completes Whitney Preparations...

Tell me about it. :)
midway through the stretch you could see that Fort Larned was not going to stop.
EP, I was in my living room doing the same thing. Had $40 to win on MMM. Don't know about you, but I was counting my winnings at the top of the stretch. :) Fort Larned was way too tough.
EP Taylor- thats funny I had a little wager on him also and had my little section yelling "mucho-mucho" in the home stretch as well,
same. Fort Larned all the way. unless he dumps a rider again.
If he win's I'd be shocked
He is my top 3 favorite handicap horse down in the US. when he is on, he is on. But he is inconsistent, and his race placements do make one scratch the head. I lost my voice the Classic last Nov during the stretch run. He just couldn't get by a game as heck Fort Larned.
Ive always liked this colt. I never really understood his conections placements in races. I hope he finally gets his G1 win.