• 2-time Arc winner Treve is an impressive winner in her seasonal debut today at Saint-Cloud.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Majestic City fights off Carve to win the Lone Star Handicap.Posted 3 days ago
  • Hard Not To Like skims the rail to score in the Grade 1 Gamely.Posted 3 days ago
  • Street Story proves best in a sloppy edition of the Winning Colors.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lubash blows by his competition late to win the Kingston.Posted 3 days ago
  • Distinctiv Passion just holds off favored San Onofre in the Los Angeles.Posted 3 days ago
  • Quezon rolls up late to score in the Bouwerie.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ostrolenka sharp in victory in Belmont's Mike Lee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar gets the job done as the Charles Whittingham favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Pleascach holds off Found in the Irish 1,000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago

David Lopez Wins First Career Race

Apprentice rider David Lopez, son of Monmouth Park veteran rider Chuck C. Lopez, celebrated the first win of his career Friday afternoon at Monmouth Park by guiding 55-1 longshot I Did It His Way to victory in the day’s fourth race.

“It’s everything I thought it would be and more,” the 21-year-old David Lopez said.  “I’ve been waiting for this since I was a little kid – watching my dad and learning from him.  You never know, but I always hoped it would happen this quickly.”

Despite heavy fog hampering the effectiveness of on-track video cameras and the vision of track announcer Larry Collmus, Lopez appeared to have his mount on the lead throughout the one-mile $10,000 maiden claiming event.

At the wire, Lopez and the 4-year-old son of Mongoose finished two lengths ahead of runner-up Gambaru.

Following the winner’s circle presentation, Lopez was greeted with buckets of ice water from his fellow fourth-race riders before being doused with shaving cream, eggs and even more water back at the jock’s room.

That, of course, was followed by a hug from dad.

“I couldn’t be prouder of him,” Chuck C. Lopez said.  “He’s paid his dues and waited a long time for this.  I’m just so proud.”

Friday’s fourth race was just the third start of David Lopez’s career who is the latest member of the Lopez family – joining grandfather Carlos Lopez Sr., uncle Carlos Lopez Jr., father Chuck C. Lopez, and brother Erick Lopez – to reach the winner’s circle at Monmouth Park.